Photographer's Note

Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception
The construction of this church was started on 1727 and it is one of the most important temples of Ouro Preto Town by its architecture and ornamentation.

There are eight lateral altars in rich and meticulous art rococ, expressing strong Portuguese influence.
In the throne of the high altar we find the image of Our Lady, modeled in natural size. The columns of the main altar were performed by master Felipe, between 1760 and 1765.

Two pulpits carved by Aleijadinho in soapstone, dated of 1771, where the artist incrusted the figures of four evangelists and, in the center, the figure of Jesus Christ preaching in the Sea of Tiberades. In the roof, is represented the Asuncin of Our Lady, the king Davi to the feet of the holy one, singing to the sound of harp and a flown around of angels.


Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceio
Teve seu incio de construo em 1727 e um dos mais importantes templos de Ouro Preto pela sua arquitetura e ornamentao. Possui oito altares laterais talhados em rica e minuciosa arte rococ, exprimindo direta influncia portuguesa.

No trono do altar-mor encontra-se a imagem de Nossa Senhora, modelada em tamanho natural e talhada por Conceio de Murilo, em 1893. As colunas salomnicas desse altar foram executadas por Mestre Felipe Vieira, entre 1760 e 1765.

Merecem destaque dois plpitos esculpidos por Aleijadinho em pedra sabo, datados de 1771, onde o artista incrustou as figuras de quatro evangelistas e, ao centro, a figura de Jesus Cristo pregando no Mar de Tiberades, sobre uma barca. Manuel da Costa Athayde foi o pintor responsvel pela decorao da igreja. No teto, ele representou a Assuno de Nossa Senhora, o rei Davi aos ps da santa, cantando ao som de harpa e uma revoada de anjos.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2992
Points: 50
Additional Photos by Paulo Carvalho (paura) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 7909 W: 56 N: 3830] (25802)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH