Photographer's Note

Feliciano Mendes, a Portuguese citizen, made a religious pledge in order to regain his lost health after years of hard work in the gold mines. Because his request was granted, he began building the Santuary in 1757, on top Maranho Hill, where he put a rustic cross and swore to dedicate the remainder of his days to the Lord Good Jesus of Matosinhos. Two years later the church nave was completed.

Feliciano used to make pilgrimages in the area at large, carrying with him a small wooden oratory which contained an image of the Lord Good Jesus. During those journeys he would collect alms and donations for the construction of the church. He passed away on September 23,1765, before
finishing his church but sure that he had accomplished what he had proposed to do: to fulfill his promise. Thus the works of the Sanctuary were under way, gathering together the very best artisans of the time, such as Maonel da Costa Athayde, Francisco Xavier Carneiro and the Master, Aleijadinho ("The Crippled One").


Original em RAW convertida pra JPEG.

All Rights Reserved: Lucas Vieira Copyright. Use in any form is forbiden without the written permission of the photographer.

Direitos Autorais Reservados: A presente fotografia obra intelectual protegida pela lei 9610/98 sendo proibida a reproduo por qualquer meio sem a prvia autorizao por escrito do autor. Favor contatar Lucas Vieira.

Photo Information
Viewed: 4476
Points: 96
Additional Photos by Lucas Vieira (lucasgalodoido) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 6049 W: 190 N: 7835] (27698)
View More Pictures