Photographer's Note

"Praia da Guarita" (Watch Tower Beach): it has 400 meters of extension, located at "Parque da Guarita" (Watch Tower Park), it is the most beautiful beach of Torres, surrounded by the Center, South and "Guarita" (Watch Tower) Towers. This last one is name of the complex.
The municipal district of "Torres" (Towers) has this name due to existence of three crags that extend until the shore. The area of Torres was inhabited originaly by indians Carijs, who were devoted the fishing and to a rudimentary agriculture. Manuel Ferreira Porto, founder of Torres is nominated in 1814, as second lieutenant of the area of "Rio Grande" and commander Torres Prison. In 1824, the official inauguration of "So Domingos das Torres" Church, initial mark of the settlement, happens. In 1826 the first German arrived in Torres, immigrants for initiative of So Leopoldo's Viscount. In 1830, the Italian immigrants arrived. On May 21, 1878, Towers began arose to the municipal district category through the provincial law 1152.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2596
Points: 44
  • None
Additional Photos by Leonor Kuhn (leonorkuhn) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3173 W: 205 N: 3259] (16237)
View More Pictures