Photographer's Note

Here the right bank of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, c'est the Iberville sector. Its history starts in 1764 with the establishment of the first colonists which spreads out thus on the first part of the XVIIIe century. To indicate the new agglomeration, one uses already the names of Bleury or Thousand-Rocks, this last toponym referring to stones that the bed of the river lets foresee out of low water. Become officially Christieville in 1847, the village takes form in edge of Trinity Church, the only church Anglican of Iberville founded in 1841. A few years later, that is to say in 1859, the name Christieville disappears to be replaced by Iberville in memory of famous Pierre Moyne d' Iberville. L'glise Saint-Athanase that l'on sees here was built in 1823. The municipality, from parish receives its incorporation in 1845 and takes the name of Saint-Athanase-in Bleury. It extends on a vast territory favourable with agriculture. It is on January 24 2001 which the new town of Saint-Jean-Iberville sees the day under the terms of a decree of municipal regrouping aiming at the old cities of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Iberville, Saint-Luc, the municipality of L'Acadie and the parish of Saint-Athanase. May 16, 2001, the city resulting from the municipal regrouping becomes officially the new city of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3616
Points: 46
  • None
Additional Photos by Daniele Robichaud (CoolDan) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 550 W: 4 N: 425] (2516)
View More Pictures