Photographer's Note

Bu fotoğrafı Burcu Hanım (BurGu) iin yklyorum.Smela Manastırının bugnk halini harika bir şekilde paylaşmış.Ben de ğrencilik yıllarımda 21 sene nce ekmiş olduğum fotoğrafı tarayıcıdan tarayıp gnderiyorum.Korumacılık adına iyi bir rnek olmuş sanırım.Burcu Hanım ve benim yklediğim bu kare karşılaştırıldığında bu durum anlaşılacaktır.
Bolca selam..

Located in Altındere National Park in Altındere Valley, 1240 meters above from the sea, it is situated on the steep cliff face of Karadağ. Its name Sumela derived from panhagia tou melas, meaning Virgin of Karadağ, and changed into sou melas over years.

There are two stories told about Sumela Monastery. It is told that monastery was built by two Greek priests (Barnabas and his cousin Sophronios) who had a dream of Virgin Mary telling them to build a temple for God in Blacksea. According to the second story St. Luke made a picture depicting the Virgin Mary and her face with black color. The picture considered to be sacred and it once wanted to be replaced, therefore brought to the cave where the first rock church of Sumela Monastery is found now. And when it was found by Barnabas and Sophronios, they made this place into a church complex in A.D. 385.

Until conquest of region by Ottoman in 1461, the monastery was one of the most important temples for Christians Monastery was enlarged and a large library was built in it by Byzantine emperors. After the conquest, it was protected by Fatih Sultan Mehmet and the succeeding sultans, their sons and governors.

Yavuz Sultan Selim, during this governship in the region (1491-1512), fell of his horse and broke his ribs while hunting and was trated by the priests in monastery. To show his gratitude, Sultan gave two golden candlesticks to the monastery.

Monastery continued its activities until 1923, until it was evacuated as a result of Turkish-Greek exchange. The monastery deprived of care and protection was damaged by visitors and natural effects. Some frescoes were stolen and taken abroad. It was taken under protection in 1972 and restoration was held...

Photo Information
Viewed: 2115
Points: 30
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Hayati KESER (hay_kes) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2041 W: 226 N: 1125] (31439)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH