Photographer's Note

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Rocio, popularly known as the hermitage of Roco, is a temple located in the village of El Roco, Almonte (Huelva). In it the famous Romera de El Roco is celebrated annually (in which the Virgin of the Roco is venerated), and that at the present time it congregates more than a million people. The current Sanctuary project is due to the architects Antonio Delgado and Roig and Alberto Balbontn de Orta, made around 1960.

Within its Sanctuary is the Virgen del Roco, a small venerated carving. Its popularity is great throughout the world, since its veneration has given rise to the second most important pilgrimage in Spain, which currently brings together more than one million people every year.

The 14th century hermitage
The first reference to a place of Marian worship in the area, dates from the first half of the fourteenth century and is found in the Book of the monteria of Alfonso XI, which refers to a "hermitage of Santa Mara de las Rocinas." In 1587 Baltasar Tercero Ruiz founded a chaplaincy in the hermitage.

Second hermitage of El Roco (1755)
That first hermitage lasted until the Lisbon earthquake in 1755, which left it in ruins. The Virgen del Roco was taken to Almonte and was there for two years, there being held the Romera del Roco in the village of Almonte. The reforms of the hermitage finished in the year 1758.

Definitive Hermitage - Sanctuary (1969)
In 1961, the Cabildo of the Matrix Brotherhood of Almonte-chaired by Antonio Milln Prez- decided to build a new sanctuary, which was promoted by the first bishop of Huelva, Monsignor Pedro Cantero Cuadrado, who laid the first stone on January 26, 1964 It was designed by the architects Alberto Balbontn Orta and Antonio Delgado Roig with a Latin cross plan, three naves, a triforium and in the background, the main chapel. The hermitage was blessed on April 12, 1969 by the then bishop of Huelva, Monsignor Jos Garca Lahiguera, and on Sunday April 13, the Virgen del Roco first entered her new temple.2 In 2012, the Hermitage of El Roco was linked to the Basilica of Santa Maria la Mayor in Rome, becoming the Sanctuary.

-------------------------------------------------

El Santuario de Nuestra Seora del Roco, conocido popularmente como la ermita del Roco, es un templo situado en la aldea de El Roco, Almonte (Huelva). En ella se celebra anualmente la famosa Romera de El Roco (en la que se venera a la Virgen del Roco), y que en la actualidad congrega a ms de un milln de personas. El proyecto de la actual del Santuario se debe a los arquitectos Antonio Delgado y Roig y Alberto Balbontn de Orta, realizado hacia 1960.

Dentro de su Santuario se halla la Virgen del Roco, una pequea talla muy venerada. Su popularidad es grande en todo el mundo, ya que su veneracin ha dado lugar a la segunda romera ms importante de Espaa, que en la actualidad congrega cada ao a ms de un milln de personas.

La ermita del siglo XIV
La primera referencia a un lugar de culto mariano en la zona, data de la primera mitad del siglo XIV y se halla en el Libro de la montera de Alfonso XI, en que se alude a una ermita de Santa Mara de las Rocinas. En 1587 Baltasar Tercero Ruiz funda en la ermita una capellana.

Segunda ermita del Roco (1755)
Aquella primera ermita dur hasta el terremoto de Lisboa, en 1755, que la dej en ruinas. La Virgen del Roco fue llevada a Almonte y estuvo all durante dos aos, celebrndose all la Romera del Roco en el pueblo almonteo. Las reformas de la ermita acabaron en el ao 1758.

Ermita definitiva - Santuario (1969)
En 1961, el Cabildo de la Hermandad Matriz de Almonte -presidida por Antonio Milln Prez- decidi levantar un nuevo santuario, que recibi el impulso del primer obispo de Huelva, monseor Pedro Cantero Cuadrado, quien coloc la primera piedra el 26 de enero de 1964. Fue proyectada por los arquitectos Alberto Balbontn Orta y Antonio Delgado Roig con planta de cruz latina, tres naves, un triforio y al fondo, la capilla mayor. La ermita fue bendecida el 12 de abril de 1969 por el entonces obispo de Huelva, monseor Jos Garca Lahiguera, y el domingo 13 de abril, la Virgen del Roco entr por primera vez en su nuevo templo.2 En el ao 2012, la ermita del Roco se vincul a la Baslica de Santa Mara la Mayor de Roma pasando a denominarse Santuario.

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 46
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8217 W: 5 N: 14775] (65726)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH