Photographer's Note

The palace of the Dukes of the Infantry is an Elizabethan Gothic style palace with Renaissance elements located in Guadalajara (Spain) which was built by Inigo Lopez de Mendoza y Luna, second Duke of Infantry, in the late fifteenth century.

The palace of the Infantry, is located in the same place occupied by the "main house" of Pedro Gonzalez, Mendoza Alcarrenian first. By 1480 the second Duke of Infantry, Inigo Lopez de Mendoza y Luna, demolished the old houses of the family and decided to build a new palace to enhance the glory of his parents and hers. In 1483 the facade was completed shortly after the yard and the end of the century the palace was complete in its basic structure. At the end of the fifteenth century the monument looked in all its splendor of Gothicism, of paneling and wealth. The traces are due to Juan Guas, architect of Toledo.

In 1560 he married in the palace Elizabeth of Valois to King Philip II of Spain.

In 1569 the fifth Duke of the Infantry began a series of reforms led by Acacius of Orejn which tended to equate the residence palace that King Philip II was rising on the outskirts of Madrid. He tried to get it put some details on the facade Renaissance (open new windows, covered the old Gothic pinnacles desmoch), in the courtyard, the level was high, and decorating the ceilings of the rooms with low frescos made by Italian artists were working in El Escorial, as Romulus Cincinnatus. It also built the "mythological garden" next to the palace.

In 1700, Mariana of Neuburg, last queen consort of the Spanish Hapsburgs, he retired from public life in this palace, where he died forty years later, in 1740.

In later centuries the left Mendoza Guadalajara to march to the court leaving the abandoned palace. In the late nineteenth century, the Duke of the Infantry XV makes a sale / transfer of half of the City Palace. Subsequently the Duchy and City to give the Ministry of the Army, who used it as a school for orphans of soldiers. In 1936 the palace was bombed and destroyed. After the war, ending the assignment to the Department of the Army, and the owners of the Palace, that is, the Duke of Infantado XVIII (reserving an area for housing and family archives) and the city of Guadalajara, give the palace to the County Council in 1961 to make a major museum project. It starts the reconstruction and rehabilitation although its former splendor was lost forever as lost Mudejar coffered ceilings, one of the best in the world.

In 1972 he moved to building the Provincial Historic Archive of Guadalajara and Guadalajara Provincial Public Library. In 2004 the library moved to the Palace of Dvalos. The Historical Archive will soon be moved to another building (still under construction) and new uses will the palace.

Today the palace also hosts the Historical Archive of the Provincial Museum in Guadalajara.
**********************************************

Espaol:

El palacio de los Duques del Infantado es un palacio de estilo gtico isabelino con elementos renacentistas situado en Guadalajara (Espaa) y que fue mandado construir por igo Lpez de Mendoza y Luna, segundo duque del Infantado, a finales del siglo XV.

El palacio del Infantado, est situado en el mismo lugar que ocupaban las "casas principales" de don Pedro Gonzlez, primer Mendoza alcarreo. Hacia 1480 el segundo Duque del Infantado, igo Lpez de Mendoza y Luna, derrib las antiguas casas de la familia y decidi construir un nuevo palacio por acrecentar la gloria de sus progenitores y la suya. En 1483 se complet la fachada, poco despus el patio y al finalizar el siglo el palacio ya estaba completo en su estructura bsica. Al terminar el siglo XV el monumento luca en todo su esplendor de goticismo, de artesonados y de riquezas. Las trazas se deben a Juan Guas, arquitecto toledano.

En 1560 se cas en este palacio Isabel de Valois con el rey de Espaa Felipe II.

En 1569 el quinto Duque del Infantado inici una serie de reformas dirigidas por Acacio de Orejn que tendan a equiparar el palacio con la residencia que el rey Felipe II estaba levantando en las cercanas de Madrid. Intent conseguirlo poniendo ciertos detalles renacentistas en la fachada (abri nuevas ventanas, tap las antiguas, desmoch los pinculos gticos), en el patio, cuyo nivel fue elevado, y decorando los techos de los salones bajos con pinturas al fresco realizadas por artistas italianos que estaban trabajando en El Escorial, como Rmulo Cincinato. Se construy tambin el "jardn mitolgico" junto al palacio.

En 1700, Mariana de Neoburgo, ltima reina consorte de los Habsburgo espaoles, se retir de la vida pblica en este palacio, donde muri cuarenta aos despus, en 1740.

En siglos posteriores los Mendoza abandonaron Guadalajara para marchar a la Corte quedando el palacio abandonado. A finales del siglo XIX, el XV Duque del Infantado realiza una venta/cesin de la mitad del palacio al Ayuntamiento. Posteriormente la Casa Ducal y Ayuntamiento lo ceden al Ministerio del Ejrcito, que lo utiliz como colegio para hurfanas de militares. En 1936 el palacio fue bombardeado y destruido. Tras la guerra, termina la cesin al Ministerio del Ejrcito, y los propietarios del Palacio, es decir, el XVIII Duque del Infantado (reservando una zona para vivienda y archivo familiar) y el Ayuntamiento de Guadalajara, ceden el Palacio a la Diputacin Foral en 1961 para realizar un gran proyecto musestico. Se inicia la reconstruccin y rehabilitacin aunque su antiguo esplendor se perdi para siempre como se perdieron los artesonados mudjares, unos de los mejores del mundo.

En 1972 se trasladan al edificio el Archivo Histrico Provincial de Guadalajara y la Biblioteca Pblica Provincial de Guadalajara. En 2004 la biblioteca se traslada al Palacio de Dvalos. El Archivo Histrico prximamente ser trasladado a otro edificio (todava en construccin) y se dar nuevos usos al palacio.

Actualmente el palacio adems del Archivo Histrico es sede del Museo Provincial de Guadalajara.




EXIF DATA:
Nombre de archivo GUAD004.jpg
Nombre del modelo de cmara Canon DIGITAL IXUS 95 IS
Hora y fecha de disparo 23/05/2012 11:32:25
Tv (Velocidad de obturacin) 1/125
Av (Valor de apertura) 2.8
Velocidad ISO 160
Tamao de la imagen 800x579
Flash Desactivar
Espacio color sRGB
Tamao de archivo 258 KB

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Manuel Mayorga (ManuMay) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2467 W: 253 N: 4601] (36447)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2012-05-23
  • Categories: , ,
  • Camera: Canon Ixus 95 IS
  • : f/2.8, 1/125
  • :
  • Date Submitted: 2012-05-24 1:30
Viewed: 1376
Points: 26
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Manuel Mayorga (ManuMay) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2467 W: 253 N: 4601] (36447)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH