Photographer's Note

See also photos in WS.
---------------------

14 The monument to the Fallen or Heroes of May 2, 1808, with its flame always lit.
Great architectural, urban and sculptural landmark, originally dedicated to the memory of the Heroes of Dos de Mayo in 1808, raised in the same place, the then called Campo de la Lealtad, where many of the soldiers were shot by order of General Murat. who rebelled against the French invasion.

After the War of Independence, the Cortes proposed in 1814 the realization of a tribute to the victims, but the restoration of Fernando VII paralyzed the proposal, which would not be resumed until the beginning of the Liberal Triennium, at which time a project was called , which was won by the architect Isidro Gonzlez Velzquez, and the first stone was laid in 1821.

Paralyzed again with the return of absolutism, it was resumed in 1836, under the regency of Mara Cristina de Borbn, following the proposal of Gonzlez Velzquez and the sculptural models of Esteban de greda of 1823, which had to be carved then by Jos Toms (the Courage), Francisco Elas (the Constancy), Sabino Medina (the Virtue) and Francisco Prez (the Patriotism). In 1840 it was completely finished, burying here the mortal remains of those executed, which were in the Church of San Isidro, to which those of the heroes Daoiz and Velarde were added in 1909.

With the arrival of democracy, it was decided that the monument would extend the tribute to all the Fallen by Spain at any time, replacing the gas installation mechanisms of the votive flame that burns continuously with a modernized system. On November 22, 1985, the restoration and comprehensive reorganization of the monument, projected by the municipal architect Joaqun Roldn Pascual, were inaugurated by King Juan Carlos I, coinciding with the ten years of his reign.

------------------------------------------------

Ver tambien fotos en WS.
-----------------------

14 El monumento a los Cados o Hroes del 2 de Mayo de 1808, con su llama siempre encendida.
Gran hito arquitectnico, urbano y escultrico, dedicado en origen a la memoria de los Hroes del Dos de Mayo de 1808, levantado en el mismo lugar, el luego llamado Campo de la Lealtad, donde se fusilaron por orden del general Murat a muchos de los que se rebelaron contra la invasin francesa.

Terminada la Guerra de la Independencia, las Cortes plantearon en 1814 la realizacin de un homenaje a las vctimas, pero la restauracin de Fernando VII paraliz la propuesta, que no sera retomada hasta el comienzo del Trienio Liberal, momento en el que se convoc un proyecto, que gan el arquitecto Isidro Gonzlez Velzquez, y se coloc la primera piedra en 1821.

Paralizado nuevamente con la vuelta del absolutismo, volvi a ser retomado en 1836, bajo la regencia de Mara Cristina de Borbn, siguiendo la propuesta de Gonzlez Velzquez y los modelos escultricos de Esteban de greda de 1823, que tuvieron que ser tallados entonces por Jos Toms (el Valor), Francisco Elas (la Constancia), Sabino Medina (la Virtud) y Francisco Prez (el Patriotismo). En 1840 quedaba completamente acabado, inhumndose aqu los restos mortales de los fusilados, que se hallaban en la Iglesia de San Isidro, a los que se sumaron los de los hroes Daoiz y Velarde en 1909.

Con la llegada de la democracia se decidi que el monumento extendiera el homenaje a todos los Cados por Espaa en cualquier poca, sustituyndose los mecanismos de instalacin de gas de la llama votiva que arde de continuo por un sistema modernizado. El 22 de noviembre de 1985, las obras de restauracin y reordenacin integral del monumento, proyectadas por el arquitecto municipal Joaqun Roldn Pascual, fueron inauguradas por el rey Juan Carlos I, coincidiendo con los diez aos de su reinado.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8682 W: 5 N: 15679] (69926)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2007-05-00
  • : , Workshop
  • Date Submitted: 2021-09-12 7:56
Viewed: 0
Points: 30
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8682 W: 5 N: 15679] (69926)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH