Photographer's Note


Felipe II, endorsing an old project of his father, the Emperor Carlos, ordered in 1561 the replacement of the old Aranjuez master's residence with a new building that is the antecedent of the current riverside Royal Palace. Juan Butista de Toledo was the architect to whom the king commissioned the plans, beginning the construction of the chapel, which was completed by Juan de Herrera. A few years later, the construction of the Palace began under the direction of Juan de Minjares. When Felipe II died in 1598, the riverside construction had the so-called south tower completed, occupied by the chapel, and a large part of the south and west facades.

Until the reign of Felipe V the works of the new Royal Palace of Aranjuez remained practically abandoned. Following the original plans of Herrera, the Bourbon king entrusted the Royal Site surveyor, Pedro Caro Idrogo, with the continuation of the works, which were restarted in 1715. The north tower was erected, with identical characteristics to the one built by Minjares , and the west facade is completed, also building the entire structure that makes up the current body of the Palace.

The building destroyed by fire, Fernando VI entrusted its reconstruction to Santiago Bonava, who included some changes in the restoration of the main faade, such as the supporting arches of the first floor terrace and the addition of the faade on which the statues of the kings Felipe II, Felipe V and Fernando VI.

In the time of Carlos III, the Royal Palace of Aranjuez was expanded, Francisco Sabatini being the author of the western wings, which laterally limit the superb Plaza de Armas. At the end of the right wing, the current chapel was built, decorated by Bayeu, and the theater that was to be located in the wing on the left was not completed.

The Royal Palace of Aranjuez is characterized externally by its white colors, from the Colmenar stone, used in its construction, and red, from the bricks used in its walls. The front of the building, except for its central body, has a succession of windows, on its lower floor, and balconies, on the upper floor, which is topped by a balustrade. In the central body, with one more floor, is the pediment with the coat of arms of Fernando VI, on which the statues of the kings Felipe II, Felipe V and Fernando VI are placed, according to the Bonava project. In the lower part of this central body, a portico with five semicircular arches, also designed by Bonava, supports the terrace of the main floor with its large balcony. The east-facing faade, with two floors, has in its center a projecting body whose windows and balconies dominate the Parterre Gardens. Finally, the North and South facades, with similar architectural characteristics, are made up of two sections topped by a balustrade.

----------------------------------------------------

Felipe II, haciendo suyo un antiguo proyecto de su padre, el Emperador Carlos, orden en el ao 1561 la sustitucin de la vieja residencia maestral de Aranjuez por un nuevo edificio que es el antecedente del actual Palacio Real ribereo. Juan Butista de Toledo fue el arquitecto a quien el rey encarg los planos, inicindose la construccin de la capilla, que fue culminada por Juan de Herrera. Unos aos ms tarde, se comienzan las obras del Palacio bajo la direccin de Juan de Minjares. Cuando Felipe II muere, en 1598, la construccin riberea presenta acabada la llamada torre sur, ocupada por la capilla, y una gran parte de las fachadas de medioda y poniente.

Hasta el reinado de Felipe V permanecen prcticamente abandonadas las obras del nuevo Palacio Real de Aranjuez. El rey borbnico, siguiendo los primitivos planos de Herrera encomienda al aparejador de los Reales Sitios, Pedro Caro Idrogo, la continuacin de las obras, que se reinician en el ao 1715. Se levanta la torre norte, de idnticas caractersticas a la construida por Minjares, y se completa la fachada oeste, construyndose tambin toda la estructura que conforma el actual cuerpo del Palacio.

Destruido el edificio por un incendio, Fernando VI encarga su reconstruccin a Santiago Bonava, quien incluye en la restauracin de la fachada principal algunos cambios, como los arcos sustentadores de la terraza del primer piso y la adicin del frontis sobre el que descansan las estatuas de los reyes Felipe II, Felipe V y Fernando VI .

En poca de Carlos III se ampla el Palacio Real de Aranjuez, siendo Francisco Sabatini el autor de las alas de poniente, que limitan lateralmente la soberbia Plaza de Armas. En el extremo del ala derecha se levant la actual capilla, decorada por Bayeu, no concluyndose el teatro que deba ubicarse en el ala situada a la izquierda.

El Palacio Real de Aranjuez se caracteriza exteriormente por sus colores blanco, de la piedra de Colmenar, utilizada en su construccin, y rojo, de los ladrillos empleados en sus paramentos. El frente del edificio, excepto en su cuerpo central, presenta una sucesin de ventanas, en su piso inferior, y balcones, en el superior, que es rematado por una balaustrada. En el cuerpo central, con un piso ms, se encuentra el frontn con el escudo de Fernando VI, sobre el que estn colocadas las estatuas de los reyes Felipe II, Felipe V y Fernando VI, segn el proyecto de Bonava. En la parte inferior de este cuerpo central un prtico de cinco arcos de medio punto, tambin diseado por Bonava, sustenta la terraza del piso principal con su gran balconada. La fachada orientada al Este, con dos pisos, posee en su centro un cuerpo saliente cuyas ventanas y balcones dominan los Jardines del Parterre. Finalmente, las fachadas Norte y Sur, de caractersticas arquitectnicas similares, estn compuestas de dos cuerpos rematados por una balaustrada.

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8344 W: 5 N: 15040] (66964)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH