Photographer's Note

Upon entering the Garden of the Island from the Parterre through the eastern bridge, we find ourselves directly with the Boticaria fountain, the prelude to the start of the Paseo de los Reyes Catlicos, a room planted with plane trees that was built, together with the high dam over the Tagus , in 1777 (during the reign of Carlos III), and finished off with a railing towards the river formed by pedestals with vases and an iron railing, and whose length exceeds 300 meters.

Located next to the high dam of the Tagus, it has a circular glass and in its center it presents the figures of two children standing on a kind of box while one holds and the other presses a large plunger, through which a jet of water flows. In allusion to this "syringe" it is popularly known as La Boticaria fountain. These two figures stand on a rocky promontory flanked by four fabulous fish pouring water from their mouths while holding pools in the shape of shells.

There is an order from Felipe IV in 1656 to place a fountain or pond where the island ended then. In 1729 Felipe V decided to form a parterre there on strong retaining walls, as a viewpoint over the Tagus, knocking down the wall that limited the island and leaving the way to Picotajo within the Garden. This appendix of the Garden was called La Isleta.

Although it was already contemplated between 1731 and 1737 in the project with seven ponds by French architects and engineers Esteban Marchand and Leandro Bachelieu *, it dates from 1807. It is the work of the sculptor Hermenegildo Silici and until 1889 it was in the gardens of El Prncipe, near the House of the Labrador. Although it is in the Italian style, we are really talking about an architectural art subjected to more extensive demands than the strictly Italian ones.

---------------------------------------------------

Al entrar al Jardn de la Isla desde el Parterre por el puente oriental nos encontramos directamente con la fuente de la Boticaria, antesala del arranque del paseo de los Reyes Catlicos, saln plantado de pltanos que fue realizado, junto con el dique alto sobre el Tajo, en 1777 (durante el reinado de Carlos III), y rematado con una baranda hacia el ro formada por pedestales con jarrones y barandilla de hierro, y cuya longitud sobrepasa los 300 metros.

Situada junto al dique alto del Tajo, tiene vaso circular y en su centro presenta las figuras de dos nios que sobre una especie de caja mientras uno sostiene y otro presiona un gran mbolo, por donde fluye un chorro del agua. En alusin a esta jeringuilla se la conoce popularmente como fuente de La Boticaria. Estas dos figuras se alzan sobre un promontorio rocoso al que flanquean cuatro peces fabulosos vertiendo agua por sus bocas mientras sostienen sendas piletas en forma de conchas.

Existe una orden de Felipe IV en 1656 para que se colocase una fuente o estanque donde entonces terminaba la isla. En 1729 Felipe V decidi formar all un parterre sobre fuertes muros de contencin, a modo de mirador sobre el Tajo, derribando la pared que limitaba la isla y dejando el paso a Picotajo dentro del Jardn. Este apndice del Jardn se llam La Isleta.

Aunque ya estaba contemplada entre 1731 y 1737 en el proyecto con siete estanques de los arquitectos e ingenieros franceses Esteban Marchand y Leandro Bachelieu*, data de 1807. Es obra del escultor Hermenegildo Silici y hasta 1889 estuvo en los jardines de El Prncipe, prxima a la Casa del Labrador. Aunque es de estilo italiano, realmente hablamos de un arte arquitectnico sometido a demandas ms amplias que las estrictamente italianas.

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 44
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8355 W: 5 N: 15054] (67044)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH