Φωτογραφίες

Photographer's Note

CCastel San Giovanni - Castel Ritaldi (PG)
The origins are very old, but there are no written documents until the thirteenth century.
Probably the place was already a Roman vicus, after the fall of the empire, the invasions, the Gothic wars and the dominion of the Byzantines, was occupied by the Lombards and merged with the Duchy of Spoleto, which followed the fate. In ancient documents it is cited as San Giovanni di Porcaria, later as San Giovani di Botonta, a term that means "border", and which could attest to a probable existence of a Lombard fortification. It should have remained an imperial fief until the beginning of the thirteenth century, entrusted to the Ritaldi, then Lombard Lombards, Trevi Lombards, then part of the territory of Normandy (from Norman or normal that is subject to the will of the Church.), A small administrative province that survived for two centuries. However, certain information is missing
Castel San Giovanni was built by Cardinal Egidio Albornoz with the name of San Giovanni della Botonta, in 1376, and was offered as a fief to the Botontei. In the name of the Pope, in 1400 it was occupied by Ugolino III Trinci. After riots and insubordination, in 1421, Martin V ordered to remove the rebel Trevi and Pissignano from Corrado Trinci; but then he returned to grant them to him for three years. In 1424, after a brief occupation by Francesco Sforza, an uprising of the people returned to destroy the unfortunate fortress, this time with the approval of the Pope, and Trevi returned to the Church under the Legate of Perugia. But in 1425 Corrado Trinci had a further investiture.
With the bull "licet et iniuncto" of May 25, 1428, Martin V decrees that the castle is built as a community without depending on Trevi, then passed under the influence of Spoleto. With the bull "sincere devotionis" of March 28, 1430, the same pontiff sanctions the separation from Trevi decreeing autonomy. On 11 March 1431, under the pontificate of Eugene IV, the bishop of Curlandia (Latvia) Giovanni Tigarth, "lieutenant, commissioner and judge delegate pro Sancta Romana Ecclesia et papa", through the notary and chancellor Vojgandus Giabori, affixed the boundaries between Castel S. Giovanni and Trevi. 1432 is the year of the promulgation of the municipal statute
Then there was a period of further contention between Trevi and Spoleto: first, in 1471 the papal bull of Sixtus IV punished Spoleto, entrusting the castle to Trevi: only in 1502 the inhabitants, enticed by economic promises, returned to the city of Spoleto thanks to the help of the captain of fortune Saccoccio Cecili. Other wars followed, until in 1520 it was definitively assigned to Spoleto by Leone X, against payment of over 3,000 ducats. Trevi lost so definitively, without prejudice to the parenthesis of the French occupation, the possession of the castle, after bleeding to keep it, even today in the Umbrian town there is the saying "coast more than San Giovanni a Trevi.
Between 1580 and 1581 it became one of the shelters of the famous bandit Petrino of Giovanni Leoncilli who tyrannized in the phono area in 1580.
With resolution of the Provincial Council of Umbria on 12 September 1868, with the Municipality of Castel San Giovanni di Spoleto it was aggregated to Castel Ritaldi. In the council session of August 15, 1875, was presented by the mayor Giuseppe Alessandrini the administrative electoral list reformed by the city council for the establishment of the new city council. The first council resolution of the two gathered castles was September 12, 1875 and until the year 1927 the heading that appears on official documents and on the papers produced is "Comune dei Castelli Ritaldi e San Giovanni".
Named until 1863 Castel San Giovanni and then Castel San Giovanni di Spoleto, in 1875 it became a village belonging to the municipality of Castel Ritaldi, so much so that the official name was, until 1927, the town of "Castel Ritaldi and San Giovanni". In 1927; with r.d. n. 337 of 10 March, published in the official gazette of the Kingdom on 24 March, as part of an administrative territorial rationalization, the municipality of Castel Ritaldi and San Giovanni, as well as other minor municipalities such as Campello sul Clitunno, Giano dell'Umbria, Sant'Anatolia di Narco, Scheggino and Vallo di Nera, was suppressed and transformed into a podestarile delegation, dependent on the Municipality of Spoleto; it was definitively restored a few years later, in 1932, but with the name of Castel Ritaldi.

ikeharel, papagolf21, Fis2, snunney, pierrefonds, alvaraalto, ChrisJ, tyro, mcmtanyel έχουν(ει) επιλέξει αυτή τη σημείωση ως χρήσιμη

Photo Information
Viewed: 456
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 18664 W: 130 N: 39429] (211425)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH