Photographer's Note

ENGLISH
San Bartolomeo all'Isola is a basilica church in Rome, founded at the end of the 10th century by Otto III, Holy Roman Emperor. It contains the relics of St. Bartholomew the Apostle,[1] and is located on Tiber Island, on the site of the former temple of Aesculapius, which had cleansed the island of its former ill-repute among the Romans and established its reputation as a hospital, continued under Christian auspices today.Emperor Otto built this church, which was initially dedicated to Adalbert of Prague, friend of Otto. It was renovated by Pope Paschal II in 1113 and again in 1180, after its rededication upon the arrival of the relics of the apostle Bartholomew. The relics were sent to Rome from Benevento, where they had arrived from Armenia in 809. The relics are located within an ancient Roman porphyry bath with lions' heads, under the main altar. The marble wellhead (puteale) bears the figures of the Savior, Adalbert and Bartholomew and Otto III.
The church was badly damaged by a flood in 1557 and was reconstructed, with its present Baroque faade, in 1624, to designs of Orazio Torriani. Further restorations were undertaken in 1852. The interior of the church preserves fourteen ancient Roman columns and two lion supports that date from the earliest reconstruction of the basilica.In 2000, it was dedicated by John Paul II to the memory of the new martyrs of the twentieth and twenty-first century. This memorial is taken care of by the Community of Sant'Egidio, who also painted the icon on the main altar.
San Bartolomeo all'Isola is a titulus of the Roman Church. The Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Bartholomaei in Insula is Francis Cardinal George, Archbishop of Chicago.The 12th century tower near the church, the Torre dei Caetani is all that remains of the medieval castello erected on the island by the Pierleoni.
In the center of the piazzetta before the church is the four-sided guglia with saints in niches by the sculptor Ignazio Jacometti, erected here in 1869.


DEUTSCH
San Bartolomeo allIsola (lat.: Sancti Bartholomaei in Insula) ist eine Kirche in Rom und seit 2002 Gedenksttte der Mrtyrer des 20. Jahrhunderts. Sie befindet sich auf der Isola Tiberina ungefhr 200 Meter sdwestlich vom Marcellustheater. An ihrer Stelle befand sich in der Antike ein im Jahr 289 v. Chr. geweihter Tempel des skulap. Die dem Adalbert von Prag gewidmete Kirche sowie ein Kloster wurden um das Jahr 1000 im Auftrag des Kaisers Otto III. errichtet.1113 wurde die Kirche im Auftrag des Papstes Paschalis II. restauriert, die Errichtung des Glockenturms erfolgte 1118. Eine weitere mit einigen Umbaumanahmen verbundene Restaurierung wurde 1583 nach den Plnen des Architekten Martino Longhi dem lteren (1534-1591) durchgefhrt. In den Jahren 1623 bis 1624 wurde nach den Plnen von Orazio Torriani oder Martino Longhi dem Jngeren die Hauptfassade errichtet. Der Innenraum wurde zwischen 1720 und 1739 im Stil des Barock und in den Jahren 1852 bis 1865 im Stil des Historismus umgestaltet.
Als besonders sehenswert gelten das Marienfresko im Stil der Romanik und der um das Jahr 1000 errichtete reich geschmckte Marmorbrunnen.
In der Kirche befand sich seit dem Anfang des 11. Jahrhunderts die angebliche Schdeldecke des Apostels Bartholomus; spter gelangte sie in den Kaiserdom St. Bartholomus in Frankfurt am Main.
Seit 1993 wird die Kirche von der Gemeinschaft SantEgidio betreut; im Jahr 2002 weihte sie Papst Johannes Paul II. den neuen Mrtyrern des 20. Jahrhunderts. In den sechs Seitenkapellen sind Reliquien und Erinnerungsstcke ausgestellt, unter anderem ein Messbuch von Erzbischof Oscar Romero, ein Brief des selig gesprochenen sterreichischen Kriegsdienstverweigerers Franz Jgersttter an seine Familie, geschrieben wenige Tage vor seiner Ermordung, sowie eine Reliquie des seligen Kardinals Clemens August Graf von Galen.

Basilica di San Bartolomeo all'Isola

San Bartolomeo all'Isola una delle chiese di Roma, costruita nell'anno 1000 sull'Isola Tiberina per contenere le reliquie di san Bartolomeo apostolo.Il sacro romano imperatore Ottone III costru questa basilica dedicandola al proprio amico, sant'Adalberto di Praga, ma all'arrivo delle reliquie dell'apostolo la basilica cambi dedica. Le reliquie vennero poste in una vasca collocata sotto l'altare: erano giunte a Benevento dall'Armenia nell'809, e poi spostate dalla citt campana a Roma, forse causando l'assedio di Benevento da parte di Ottone contro Pandolfo II.Le spoglie di san Bartolomeo furono trasportate a Roma in un catino che fu trafugato da ignoti nel gennaio 1981 e ritrovato nel maggio 1985.
La basilica fu affidata nel 1993 alla Comunit di Sant'Egidio. A partire dal 1999 si riun per due anni nei locali della basilica la commissione "Nuovi Martiri", che aveva il compito dovuto indagare sui martiri cristiani del Ventesimo secolo. Nell'ottobre del 2002, con una solenne celebrazione ecumenica alla presenza dei cardinali Ruini, Kasper e George, e del patriarca romeno ortodosso Teoctist, stata posta sull'altare maggiore una grande icona dedicata ai martiri del Novecento; altre memorie di martiri sono collocate nelle cappelline laterali, ognuna dedicata ad una situazione storica particolare.
La basilica di San Bartolomeo oggi luogo memoriale dei "nuovi martiri" del ventesimo secolo. All'interno la Basilica ospita le memorie e le reliquie di molti testimoni del nostro tempo, dal vescovo martire Oscar Arnulfo Romero al cardinale Posadas Ocampo, ucciso dai narcotrafficanti all'aeroporto di Guadalajara, dal pastore evangelico Paul Schneider al contadino Franz Jgersttter, oppositori del nazismo per obiezione di coscienza e testimonianza di fede, dal monaco e guida spirituale Sofian Boghiu, oppositore del totalitarismo comunista in Romania a don Andrea Santoro, prete romano ucciso a Trebisonda come il prete francese Andr Jarlan in Cile, testimoni del dialogo e dell'amicizia con i pi poveri.

Photo Information
Viewed: 6115
Points: 74
Discussions
Additional Photos by Giorgio Clementi (Clementi) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3694 W: 437 N: 9370] (52514)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH