Photographer's Note

Dmkirkjan Reykjavk. "Reykjavk Cathedral was built in 1787-1796 to a design by Andreas Kirkerup, in neoclassical style. In 1847-1848 it was enlarged in accord with design by Winstrup in post-classical style. In 1999-2000 the cathedral was restored, to plans by orsteinn Gunnarsson.
The Cathedral of Reykjavik was consecrated in 1796 and was the first building to be built specifically with the fact in mind that Reykjavk was to become the capital of the country.
Around a century later the Parliament building was constructed right next to the church. In time these two buildings have become one in the minds of the nation and symbolise an unbroken connection between the laws and traditions of the land. The cathedral has been a platform for major events in the life of the nation; its individuals, families and the society as a whole. On the occasion of the Opening of Parliament the parliamentarians walk in procession to the Cathedral and attend a special service, likewise at the inauguration of the President of Iceland. The Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of Iceland and the place where most of the work connected to this office is performed.
More than anything else the Cathedral serves as a parish church, initially it was for the whole of the Reykjavk area, but now it serves the older west town area and the neighboring eastern areas.
The Icelandic population decreased by nearly 25% in 18th century due to drastic climate changes and destruction of grazing fields caused by enormous volcanic eruptions. The Danish king set up a disaster control commission which resulted in the formation of Reykjavk as an official administration centre and the bishops offices were relocated here from Sklholt and Hlar. The cathedral was consequently built in the years 1787-96. This modest neo-classical style cathedral was built according to the architectural plans of A. Winstrup, royal builder-master in Copenhagen. The building is beautifully adorned with neo-baroque decorations and inside the pulpit and frame around the altarpiece as well as the pews were designed by Winstrup"

Previous text from the following website: domkirkjan.is/english/

Photo Information
Viewed: 418
Points: 2
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Eric Daniels (lipscer) Silver Note Writer [C: 1 W: 0 N: 538] (1333)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH