Photographer's Note

Ndasdy-vr (Ndasdy castle)

The original stone fort was built in the 13th century on the ruins of a 9th-century earth palisade. It was expanded by the Kanizsay family in 1390, who started to build the gate tower. The Ndasdy family acquired the castle by marriage in 1534. They converted it into a renaissance castle in the 17th century.
The castle was refurbished in 1720 and finally in 1822, its appearance has not changed since then.
This is one of the few forts which remained almost intact (most of the forts in Hungary were destroyed or severely damaged). The assembly hall is decorated with beautiful frescoes.
Today the building houses several institutions, such as a museum, a library, a community centre. The museum shows the history of the town and the castle, the history of the Hungarian hussars (light cavalry), and has a fine collection of furniture, glassware and silver cutlery from the renaissance to present days.
The town is also famous for the first printed book in Hungarian language which was published here (Grammatica Hungarolatina 1541).

Photo Information
Viewed: 2519
Points: 26
Additional Photos by Laszlo Etler (etlerl) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 82 W: 93 N: 146] (603)
View More Pictures