Photographer's Note

Life of a church

About 1130 - The congregation of the Chair God hangs in load the parish of Cepoy and establishes a priory to with it. On the ruins of the preceding church, the monks hastened to build a conventual church to shelter them and be used as parish church. Its principal part: the bell-tower, the chorus and the two apsidal ones forming bedside, were finished in 1143. This part has been practically always places from there for 850 years. Between 1150 and 1180 - Construction of the nave to receive there the parishioners, the chorus being reserved with the monks. It is from there that each 17 January left, the procession going by the "way of the Monks" of the new priory to the old convent St Antoine with the "hollow street". In 1430 - The English destroy the nave of the church. In 1450 - The bell-tower does not have any more a roof, the church and the priory is dilapidated. In 1470 - The abbey of Chair-God undertakes the repairing of the church. The bell-tower is raised of a stage, the central nave is rebuilt and 2 small side aisles are assistant for him. 1562 - Wars of religion - the church is set fire to, the top of the bell-tower breaks down as well as the naves. 1600 - Rebuilding - initially the bell-tower but its height is limited; then the nave in 1625 and finally the large gate in 1627 1660 - Construction of the left side aisle vis-a-vis to the vault "St Jean - St Antoine" (later St Nicolas) - vault in which the duke of Orleans made transfer the furnace bridge from the vault St Jean of the House God. 1671 - A hurricane carries the roof of the church. 1675 - The helped inhabitants of Cepoy of the lord of the manor of the castle of Beauvoir, Jacques Herdsman of Mothe, undertake repairs and the modification of the chorus below the bell-tower. 1694 - The vault "St Jean-St Antoine" is dbaptise and becomes vault St Nicolas, owner of the marines, giving place to the crtion of a brotherhood of very prosperous St Nicolas. 1756 - The lightning falls on the chorus. Thanks to the inhabitants of Cepoy, the bell-tower is given in state immediately. During the revolution, the building is dedicated to the worship "To be supreme for it". June 21, 1795 the catholic worship is restored. 1894 - After one century when still storms and tornadoes follow one another causing damage more or less, the Masson Priest with the assistance of the parishioners undertakes a reorganization of the church by modifying somewhat certain interior aspects. With the the fifty last years course, new interior installations will be carried out by the priests in load of the parish, in particular the chorus and the vault of the Virgin.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3275
Points: 72
Additional Photos by Philippe guillard (papagolf21) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 18557 W: 882 N: 35050] (152361)
View More Pictures