Photographer's Note

February 25, 2009
Millau 120145 12100
Aveyron Midi-Pyrnes
44.099 3.082 366 m

Keep and belfry. (2 images).

One sight.
Other sight, (3 images), April 27, 2008.

Square tower, old keep, 12th century. Height 21 m, 10.60 m on side.
_Largest of the Romanesque style keeps in Aveyron. Built at the 12th century by the counts of Barcelona, lords of Millau.

Octagonal tower, belfry, 17th century. Height 21 Mr. Class historic building in 1931.
_On April 1st, 1187, Alphonse, king d' Aragon and count de Barcelone, grants to Millavois communal freedoms allowing a consular administration, by elected consuls.
In 1613 the consuls of Millau buy the square keep.
From 1614 to 1617, construction of the octagonal tower, which contains the bell and the communal clock.
In 1811, construction of the side staircase.
A fire destroyed on July 29th, 1811 the arrow which culminated to 52 Mr.
The platform located at 42 m height is accessible.

Millau is a french commune, located in the department of Aveyron of the Midi-Pyrenees area, populated of 21339 Millavois in 1999, distributed out of 170 km, that is to say 125 hab./km.

Millau was born, there is nearly 3000 years, on the heights of Grande, before going down and extending to 2rd or 1st front century J.-C., on left bank of the Tarn.
The city becomes an important center of manufacture of ceramics exported in all the Roman Empire.
Ameliavus, Amilhau, Milhau and finally Millau will become the center at the 10th-11th century of the Viscount of Millau.
To the 11th century the city passes under the successive dominations of the counts de Provence, Barcelona then kings d'Aragon, and will belong to the kingdom of France after the death of king Saint-Louis in 1270.
In 1361, during the One hundred Year old war, the city passes under English domination and finds a new dash at the end of the war.
Millau was a Protestant fortified town as from the 16th century, until the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes into 1685 which constrained notable Protestants with the exile.
At the 19th century, a new economic dash starts with the development of the industry of the glove.

Millau is the most extended commune of the department of Aveyron. Placed at the confluence of the valleys of the Tarn and Dourbie, with the foot of Grands Causses, it occupies a strategic touristic
The silhouette of its famous viaduc, inaugurated on December 14, 2004, crosses the sky to a few kilometers downstream.

My images of Millau.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3192
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by joel berthonneau (jlbrthnn) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7168 W: 0 N: 22964] (76043)
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH