Photographer's Note

November 3, 2008
Saint-Laurent-le-Minier 300280 30440
Gard Languedoc-Roussillon
43.933 0.767 180 m

The stone bridge, XVe XVIe centuries.

One sight, the bridge
Other sight, the river

It crosses the Vis river, close to its classified falls.

The Vis is a small river, abundant but very irregular. Supplied with its catchment area, its risings can be extremely important. November 8, 1982, the maximum instantaneous flow was 542 m, five hundred and forty two m, a second, in Saint-Laurent-le-Minier for a rising hardly of a decennial nature, banal and by no means exceptional.

Tributary of Herault, a 30 km length. It takes its source on the Saint-Guiral mount in the solid mass of Aigoual. It disappears in the ground with Larcy whereas its flow reaches 50 l/s. Approximately 15 km further, it goes on surface in a rsurgence with Vissec, with the mill of Lafoux with a flow of 1200 to 2500 l/s. Its affluents are in major undergrounds part. the Vis erodes the basement, provocative constantly underground crumblings able to stop its course of the hours, even days, as in 1779, 1890, 1927 and 1961. Its exploration, appears difficult and dangerous in a water with 11 and a very strong current. The Vis then impressed its bed of surface in impressive canyons reaching 300 m of depth dug in plates limestones called causses, of which the Causse of Larzac, crossing the imposing site of the Circus of Navacelles. It follows its torrential course giving its energy to an electric micro-power station in Madires, and its purity with some pisciculture with trouts of quality, then is thrown in Herault in Ganges.

The bridge is near the castle, of the XVIIe XVIIIe centuries, registered with the historic buildings, private property.

Saint-Laurent-le-Minier is a french commune, located in the department of the Gard of the Languedoc-Roussillon area, populated of 362 laureniers in 1999, divided out of 13 km, that is to say 27 hab./km.

The village located at the feet of the solid mass of Aigoual and Causse of Blandas, is crossed by the Vis river and its affluents, Crenze, Braun, Naduel, Maudesse, which explains the presence of nine bridges.

After having lived of agriculture, Saint-Laurent-le-Minier had lived for several decades, up to one very recent time of the mining extraction of the mine of the Malines, where the sphalerite and crystal were extracted to draw zinc and lead from it. The exploitation of metals started as of the Bronze ge.
The mine closed in 1994, after a production of 1.000.000 of tons of metals of which zinc and lead, but also 250 tons of silver. Remarkable baryta crystals there are found.

My images of Saint-Laurent-le-Minier

Photo Information
Viewed: 7560
Points: 52
  • None
Additional Photos by joel berthonneau (jlbrthnn) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7168 W: 0 N: 22964] (76043)
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
View More Pictures