Photographer's Note

LIORZH AR MOGERIOU, GWENED, BRO WENED

THE BATTLEMENTS GARDEN, VANNES, BRITTANY

Large post

(for english text, see lower)

Goude un neubeut skeudenno eus Bro Leon dindan ar galv, setu gwened dindan heol ar mintin e miz mae.

Ramparzhio Gwened zo unan ag an elfenno a bouez a weler e kr hag un testeni a 1 500 blez a istor vilourel.
E penn diwezha an IIIe kantved, ha pa oa an impalaeriezh roman r an diskar, Gwened, anvet Darioritum en amzer-se, zo aotreet da sevel magoerio difenn. Un castrum (lech magoeriet) zo savet er chorng dar gr galian-ha-roman, r ar Menez tost. Un trichorn a ra ar vagoer-difenn zo en he diabarzh ur gorread 5 hektar pe r-dro.
Er Grennamzer Uhela e ta ar castrum da vout kalonenn kr. Kempennet eo ar vagoer en XIIIvet kantved, ha kresket etre 1370 ha 1390 gant dug Breizh, Yann IV ; kreski a ra gorread ar gr gloz ag an hanter. r tu mervent ar vagoer nevez ema harpet kastell an Erminig (aet da get), tost da zor Calmont.
Balego, tarzhello, tourio a za da grevaat ar reizhiad difenn er XVvet kantved.
E penn diwezha ar XVIvet kantved eo krevaet magoer ar Grennamzer gant bego, evit basta da ezhommo ar chanolierezh modern. Kentrell ar Waremm, savet etre 1626 ha 1628 gant an tisavour Augereau, eo an difenn diwezha savet e Gwened.


After a few pictures about bad weather in the northern Brittany, a sunny picture from vannes in southern Brittany. Early in the morning in May 2007.

Vannes' battlements, witness to 1,500 years of history, are a major feature in the townscape.
At the end of the 3rd century, when the Roman Empire was crumbling, Vannes, which was then called Darioritum, was permitted to reinforce its defences. A castrum (fortified site) was build to the west of the Gallo-Roman town on the nearby Men hill. The triangular plan of the defence walls protected an area of about 5 hectares.
During the Early Middle Ages the castrum became the heart of the medieval town. Restored during the 13th century, Jean IV, Duke of Brittany extended the walls between 1370 and 1390, doubling the area of the walled town. The Hermine castle (now gone) was built on the south-west side of the new battlements, near the site of the Calmont gate.
Machicoulis, gun loops and towers were added to the defence system during the 15th century.
At the end of the 16th century the medieval battlements were reinforced with bastions to meet the requirements of modern artillery. The last defence structure to be built in Vannes was the Garenne fortification, erected between 1626 and 1628 by the architect Augereau.

(source: vannes official website)

Photo Information
  • Copyright: JM Tanguy (Edern) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 44 W: 18 N: 177] (594)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2007-05-29
  • Categories:
  • Camera: Nikon Coolpix 2500
  • :
  • Date Submitted: 2009-01-24 1:01
Viewed: 2698
Points: 20
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by JM Tanguy (Edern) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 44 W: 18 N: 177] (594)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH