Photographer's Note

Just behind the Minnewater lies the Beguinage 'De Wijngaard' (= the Vineyard). It is one of those typical areas in Bruges where one can find more peace and quiet than in the sometimes busy and overcrowded streets of the town center. The Beguinage is a group of houses around a little garden covered with large poplar trees. It was here that during the last seven centuries lived the beguines of Bruges. In 1937 the beguinage became a monastery for the Benedictine sisters who still live here now.

The Beguinage of Bruges was founded in 1245 by the Countess of Flanders, Margaretha of Constantinopel, daughter of Count Baldwin who conquered Constantinopel (now Istambul) during the crusades. In 1299, Philip the beautiful of France, placed the Beguinage under his own rule, thereby withdrawing it from the influence of the town magistrate.Visitors enter the place via a bridge over the canal. The entrance gate bears the date 1776. A lot of houses, however, are much older than that. Most date from the 17th and 18th century. Some houses were built in the 19th century in neo-gothic style. In the southern part is a little dead end street where still some houses of the 15th-16th century can be found. The largest and most impressive house is situated in the left corner behind the garden. It was here that the 'grootjuffrouw', or 'grand-dame' lived. It was she who ruled over the beguinage. The original church of the 13th century was destroyed by a fire in 1584. It was rebuild in 1609 and later again renovated in late baroque style.
Juste derrire le Lac d'Amour se trouve le Bguinage 'De Wijngaard' (= le vignoble). Elle est l'une de ces zones typiques de Bruges o on peut trouver plus de tranquillit que dans les rues, parfois occupe et surpeuples du centre ville. Le Bguinage est un groupe de maisons autour d'un petit jardin, couvertes de grands arbres de peuplier. C'est ici que durant les sept derniers sicles, a vcu les bguines de Bruges. En 1937, le bguinage est devenu un couvent pour les surs bndictines qui vivent encore ici maintenant.

Le bguinage de Bruges a t fonde en 1245 par la comtesse de Flandre, Margaretha de Constantinopel, fille du comte Baudouin qui a conquis Constantinopel (aujourd'hui Istanbul) pendant les croisades. En 1299, Philippe le joli coin de France, a plac la Bguinage sous son propre rgne, ce qui lui retire de l'influence de la ville magistrate.Visitors pntrer dans le lieu via un pont sur le canal. La porte d'entre porte la date 1776. Beaucoup de maisons, cependant, sont beaucoup plus vieux que cela. La plupart datent du 17me et 18me sicle. Certaines maisons ont t construites au 19me sicle en style no-gothique. Dans la partie sud est une petite rue sans issue, o encore des maisons du 15e au 16e sicle, peut tre trouve. La maison plus grande et la plus impressionnante est situ dans le coin gauche derrire le jardin. C'est ici que le grootjuffrouw, ou Grand-Dame a vcu. C'est elle qui rgnait sur le bguinage. L'glise d'origine du 13me sicle a t dtruit par un incendie en 1584. Il a t reconstruit en 1609 et plus tard nouveau rnov en style baroque tardif.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2809
Points: 14
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by john vantighem (john1) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 385 W: 0 N: 531] (4028)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH