Φωτογραφίες

Photographer's Note

This photo I took in the Kremlin of Suzdal right on the last days of winter before spring (end of March). You can see here two great examples of white stone and wooden architecture of Russian churches.

The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin (background on the photo) is the principal temple of Suzdal and one of the latest monuments of the pre-Mongol architecture of the land of Vladimir and Suzdal.
This church, which is the main part of Kremlin's anssemble, was built in 1225 on the site of the Assumption cathedral built by Vladimir Monomakh at the end of the 11th - beginning of the 12th centuries which had collapsed. The new 13th century cathedral was built in lime stone, but the old plinth from the previous one was used in the masonry inside. This technique distinguishes it from the other monuments of Vladimir-Suzdal architecture. The facades and portals of this 3-domed cathedral were decorated with the white stone carvings. After the fire of 1445 the upper part of the cathedral was rebuilt in brick. The 3 domes were replaced by 5 domes. In 1993 the cathedral appears in the UNESCO's cultural list.

The St. Nicholas church (foreground on the photo) was built in 1766 in the village of Glotovo and was the first exhibit of the future museum of the wooden architecture and peasant life. It was transferred to Suzdal in 1960. It's a perfect example of a wooden village church, which has a clear silhouette, nice proportions, refined shape of the faceted alter, highly pitched wooden roof and an elegant dome decorated with aspen shingles. This church as a good example of folk carpenters' art was hewed with the use of pegs.

sicily198x, wkraj, Albrecht, Bianconeri78, nels, tjanze, sarju, Jazator, Janice, yogi32, andreineamtu, catherinetodd, belowen, avene, edcone έχουν(ει) επιλέξει αυτή τη σημείωση ως χρήσιμη

Photo Information
Viewed: 7064
Points: 44
Discussions
Additional Photos by Arthur Lookyanov (ArtLook) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 160 W: 4 N: 634] (2348)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH