Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2012-01-13 2:45

Good morning Bev,

Not only is this a very well taken shot, but where you have really succeeded with this one is in the very expert cropping of the picture. I can't imagine that this was exactly as the picture was taken at the time and I believe you must have spent quite a bit of time and judicious consideration in deciding exactly where the boundaries of this image should lie.

And you have succeeded superbly! The upper parts of the lock gates dominate the foreground but they also beautifully frame the two boats which, enticingly, we can't see completely although we can see their names and also the activities of their boatmen.

What also fascinates me is that you have managed to achieve great depth of field here - at f/6.3 you have done very well to have those close gates and also the far distance both in sharp focus.

Lovely natural colours, good exposure and lots of detail and sharpness.

Lovely!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM
TE Expert

Smile To tyro: The Lock Gates

Hi John,

Thank you for your in-depth critique. I do like to read what you have to say.

With regard to the crop, I looked back at the original in RAW (because it was quite a while since I converted this shot) and, would you believe it, I have not cropped the original at all, except for a tiny amount off the top.

I have other shots from this day of the r/h boat emerging from the lock. It was most interesting to watch it and I was pleased that there had been such a lot of activity as we had some friends, both keen photographers, with us.

Have a great w/e,
Bev :-)