Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great pamastro 2005-02-21 0:21

NIcely captured, Kaj. There's something I like about interchanges, especially when traveling and seeing new ones in different cities. There are so many possibilities. It's exciting. You could go to so many places and you have to keep alert to get the path you want. And here you have an extra level to that with the signs also leading to ships, trains and planes and a hospital really giving it a very dynamic feel. And here I find myself inspecting the signs very carefully and wishing I had a good map of the area to follow it all. Traffic on the expressway has the sound of streaming by. And it's like your airport shot from LAX with the freighters in the back and the airplanes and trucks in the front. Great transportation shot.

And I have to say it makes me think of what I was thinking about yesterday driving around Detroit. We have an interchange where 2 major expressways and 3 major highways all merge. It's huge, probably a couple miles long or more. And all the signs and exit and entry ramps and bridges are mind boggling and so impressive.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To pamastro: About interchanges...

Paul,

Thanks as always for your nice comments to - and thoughts around - my picture.

I do like these interchanges too, although there aren't too many of them in southern Sweden. As you state, they set your mind in motion. Like this one: Kφpenhamn [Copenhagen] is in another country; Gφteborg [Gothenburg] is some 280kms (174mi) up the West coast - where my daughter lives; and Kalmar is at the same distance up the East coast - where I grew up.

Outside Copenhagen the interchanges are somewhat larger - there are more of them - and traffic is heavier, making it more fun to drive. And driving through Germany means passing a lot of larger ones. At one time most of the signs soaring overhead were video-taped by my son, as a way of showing the trip home.

I enjoyed very much driving around in the L.A. area, finding my way, switching lanes and feeling quite at ease. Actually when I got the hang of it, I looked for the major ones just for the fun of it. I was amazed at how easy it was driving around, compared to many places in Europe.

Looking at a map over the Detroit area - realizing how large it is - I guess the interchange you mention must be where 96, 696, 275 and 5 merge, right? Well, at least that one would be tempting to me... ;o)

A map showing some of my area is found her e!

Best regards,
Kaj
Old 02-22-2005, 11:14 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pamastro: About interchanges...

Hello Kaj

You're very close. I had forgotten about the interchange that you mention. It's another very impressive one, even more so. It's fun to enter and exit a different way every time I use it to see what's new on the different roads.

The one I mention is actually just about 8 miles east of that one. It's where 696, M10, Telegraph Road, Northwestern Highway and 12 Mile Road all jumble together. I actually have a photo of the approach to that interchange posted here. It's made more impressive here as you travel east and see the approaching high rises of the city of Southfield.

You probably would enjoy driving around the Detroit area. The expressway system is very similar to L.A. and I would say Detroit's urban expressway and road systems surpasses all others in terms of layout and efficiency.

Unfortunately it was so efficient it played a huge part in depopulating the inner city. And it has made Detroit the most expansive metro area in the United States, more so than L.A. when you take the population difference into account.

And thanks for the map of the Malmφ - Copenhagen area. I should get a Michelin atlas or map of the area. It's so nice to flip through a book or map. I know I'd have fun driving along the roads around your area. Especially in crossing the strait. I enjoy bridges that extend over such a large area of water as the Oresund one does.

Best wishes and continue enjoying traveling the roads,

Paul
Old 02-26-2005, 12:08 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Paul,

Yes, I found it - I was almost in the same area... And I find some of the names amusing: 12 Mile Road, 11 Mile Road, 10 Mile Road a.s.o.

You surprise me, when saying that Detroit is an expansive metro area of the same kind as L.A. - although I'm able to see that on the map. Many of your descriptions of the inner city have shown a similarity to downtown L.A. some years back. And, of course, the efficiency of the expressways play a huge part in both cases. But as I understood it, Los Angeles has been able to stop the trend and is refurbishing the downtown area. So there's still hope for Detroit... ;o)

I enjoyed driving in L.A. and I'd probably enjoy driving in Detroit too. But until further I'll have to do with the German Autobahns. I've decided on going skiing in Switzerland in a couple of weeks from now and I'll drive down in my car. A stop-over in Hannover - to visit the CeBIT fair - vouch for a nice pace.

Best regards,
Kaj
Old 03-05-2005, 05:54 PM
TE Senior Member

Hello Kaj

I have only seen mile roads in a few other places but only in Michigan are they strictly adhered to. Because Thomas Jefferson has surveyors layout the new territories in grids of 6 miles by 6 these roads formed. On the map you will see that there are major north-south roads every mile, also, forming a grid with the east-west "Mile" roads.

They start at downtown Detroit so it's a handy way to determine how far north of downtown you are, and anywhere else for that matter. Especially once you learn all the north-south roads. The "Baseline" road, Ford Rd., is where my old high school is located, which I have posted here before.

As an idea of the size of Detroit there are dense housing developments as far out as 23 Mile Rd. and more sparse ones as far as 32 Mile. And that's just north of downtown.

And have fun on the Autobahns and on your ski trip. They certainly offer more pleasent drives than the broken expressways we have in the U.S.

Best wishes

Paul
Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks Paul

For explaining the 'road system' and also including Thomas Jefferson and 'the layout of the new territories'. Of course this goes way back and of course the origin is from a writing desk.

I find it fascinating how many structures are 'square orientated' in the U.S., and in a strictly north/south east/west orientation. I think we discussed this when you were on your Michigan tour, as it was at that time I really saw it on the great map.

And also thanks for giving me a certain understanding of the vastness of Detroit. It's built by cars for cars. I'll return to your panorama tomorrow.

I'll enjoy my trip, although the variation isn't that great. It's almost always the same roads I travel through Germany, but never before at this time of the year. And a stop-over in Hannover is a nice change.

Best regards,
Kaj