Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great happypoppeye 2007-06-20 20:33

Great shot. Really "focused" (subject wise). The DOF really makes the incense sticks a strong focal point. Great eye to catch this one. Nice and grainy giving the photo an older type feel with alot of character - and good choice of B&W.

...and times, they are a changin. Newer doesn't mean better. I wish I wasn't so lazy or I'd shoot film probably most of the time. I actually like the grainy look like this photo has. Too bad nowadays the smoothest and highest megapixel camera is considered the best. Personally, I don't think cameras have really advanced that far in the last couple of years. Or, I should say, picture quality not cameras. Now they are faster, smaller, lighter and you have these super zooms. I have a 4 year old digital point and shoot that takes "nicer" photos than my D40...at 8x10 or smaller. I have never printed a photo larger than 8x10.

Keep that D70s - it takes better photos, in my opinion, than the D80 or D200. It is one of the best digital bodies Nikon has ever made - again, in my opinion. Now, it all depends on the photographer but in the right hands it is better - unless you need a 3ft x 5ft print that is. This Oly isn't bad either.

Great work.
Great note.
John

Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
TE Newbie

Default To happypoppeye: film

Hi John,

I'm a bit film fan too. This was obviously a good old fashioned B&W (TX400, I think) film, which is why I've got the gorgeous noise.
I've demoed a D2X, D80 and D200 in the past month and I have to say that I don't feel that far in the past with my D70s. Sometimes I feel the need for a body that handles better (D2X really), but not all of the time. I do think that the D70s is a great body for black and white conversion though, some of the results from ISO1600 shots are damn good.

But equally... I do want my super-clean ISO1600/3200 and I figure that I can add artificial noise afterwards, while taking away real noise isn't so easy (although it can be done, to an extent).

I really holding out for an impressive D3 announcement sometime soon!

Thanks for the great critique. Lewis.