Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great batalay 2007-02-23 17:30

Hello Janos,

I like very much the sepia rendition of this photo. I see that it was shot almost 38 years ago. In case you have not been to Istanbul in the last decade, this bridge was set on fire by terrorist. Nonethess, it was put back together, and is parked a km up the Golden Horn (Haliη). There is a larger bridge at the site now. But one thing that has not changed, the traffic congestion. No it has changed, it is much worse.

Regards,
Bulent

Old 02-24-2007, 10:26 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To batalay: three bridges?....

Thank you Mr Bulent for your informative comment.You are also a gentleman and a scholar for coming back to this shot and giving me points. But what do you mean by the 'bridge being parked up the Golden Horn?' You mean there are three bridges now: the rebuilt Galata, the Ataturk and this one?
I haven't been back to Stamboul for 38 years, but I'd love to go. Thanks again, Best regards, Janos
Old 02-25-2007, 04:31 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To batalay: three bridges?....

Hello Janos,

Last May I was in Istanbul to give lectures (one of six short trips there). This bridge is sitting in a new place, blocked off from use, and in desperate need of restoration. Most likely it will be discarded. In fact it is one of four bridges, three of which are used. 504 years ago Leonardo da Vinci wrote to the Sultan of the Ottoman's (Beyazit II) and proposed building a bridge over the Golden Horn. (He had lost his job when the French invaded Milan, where he had been working as a military engineer for the Duke Ludovico Sforza.) Unhappily, Beyazit did not hire him, and the bridge did not get built in Istanbul. 499 years later, the Norwegian artist Vebjorn Sand lobbied for funds, and built a scaled down version of the bridge in Εs, Norway. He and a small group he heads is interested in building the bridge in Istanbul, and I am trying to help them. If you look for "Leonardo's Bridge + Norway + Sand" in google, you might find Leonardo's Bridge design in Norway.
Regards,
Bulent