Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PJE 2007-02-04 1:17

Well Good Evening Daniel. I see you had an interesting day with this rare creature capture. I gather you chose your macro 100mm nacro lens because the monkey was not too far away from you in the cage. Good choice.

The attractive thing about this photo is the white hairy winged ear muffs. Cotton Ears is a really good title. Add to that the monkey hand holding on to the branch on the right really brings the frame into balance.

I wonder about the lack of depth of field and the limited lighting you may have had which seems to be shining down from above. There is enough in focus and you chose the right area to be in focus too. So a question after its taken and now posted is would a slower shutter speed and high f stop bring more detail in focus on the monkey's face. With the ISO already cranked up to 1600 I think you chose the best possible settings on this one. The only question I am not sure of is would a standard zoom lens bring better depth of field compared to the Canon 100 mm macro. I am not sure. Either way you did very well Dan. I like this one. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 AM
TE Expert

Default To PJE: Youv'e brought up some interesting questions Paul.

The onyl lenses I had with me on this day were my Macro 100mm, My Canon 75-300mm, and my Sigma 170-500mm. Having just come from the reptile exhibit I had my Macro already attatched to the camera. I entered this aviary where they have "free-flying" birds, these small Marmosets and some Iguanas.
The marmosets really are tiny- only about the size of my fist- and not afraid of humans in any way. I was able to get as close as I wanted with the Macro to get this shot.
As the aviary is open air- the light is daylight (although overcast) with lots of trees and branches around. These little marmosets are so quick that a slower shutter speed would have surely resulted in losing sharpness. Personally I think there's quite a bit of detail in the monkeys face... and the DOF helps for those features to stand out and not be distracted.
I only wih I was able to get a shot of him sitting in the palm of my hand...

Thanks for stopping by Paul. More images on the way!
- Dan