Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great bombilla 2006-12-15 18:14

There is much, much more to photography -- and life, Bev -- than sharpness. Pedantic critics trawl the net looking to prove their superior sensibilities by making comments like the one that Alessandro has made. They do not look at the photo. They do not think about it. They simply lash out at it because it does not meet some generic textbook definition that they chant like a stale mantra. They are like men who drive fast cars to compensate for other shortcomings.

Your photograph is without fault because you took it honestly and with good intention, and you were generous enough to share it with others. It may not appeal to all, but it need not. Those who do not like it should move past it silently and without malice, so that others may, in peace, glimpse something of your vision and your experience and learn from it. You should ignore people like Alessandro. They say nothing worth listening to.

Thanks for posting your photo of these interesting women you met. Best, Hugh

Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 AM
TE Expert

Default To bombilla: thankyou so much

Thankyou for your kind comments Hugh. I appreciate them a great deal. I think photograpy is much more than about landscapes and architecture. Although those subjects are very fine and beautiful I can't help but think sometimes that we can buy postcards of the more famous sights, but a moment in time of people in a particular place and environment can never be captured quite the same again. So in that sense I prefer this kind of a picture even if I could do better technically.And in any case this is all part of the learning process. I don't mind too much about waspish critques (even tho' it stings at first!) as they make me determined to do better next time...and there will be a next time!
Bev