Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Luko 2006-06-04 11:55

I appreciate the thirds division in there, as well as the out of focus Padthai attendant. I would have liked seeing him move his hands or at the least in a more meaningful posture, like stirring up his wok.
Perhaps that yes, there's too much contrast between the foreground cabbage and the background cook. I'm also amazed when I look at the specs : 28mm!!! That should be pretty close from the cabbage... your lens might have been eating Pad Thai too then.. ;D ..

Now a cultural question is rising : is it a symbol of greater Bangkok or Khao San road only? I suppose you have already noticed the KSR Tshirt where the ten commandments of the KSR traveler is written. #1 is "I will eat Pad Thai and banana pancakes everyday" and it carries on with such commandments as "I will bargain to death until I pay my PadThai even less than the locals"...

Anyway your image gave me the idea to post another typical streetfood shot, yet more aimed to local tastes. Stay tuned.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Luko: Not just KSR

Certainly, stuff like this is most popular on KSR or in the more farang frequented areas, however, I had an interesting little experience last week. I was in an odd area of the city (don't ask me where, I don't really know), and wandered into a street market. This market really seemed to be for Thais only in that none of the signs were in English and very few of the vendors could speak any English at all. However, I was quite surprised to find that even in this area, some of the same snacks you see on KSR were also available. The little spring rolls were there, as was the pad thai. I had both, and the one thing that was different was the price. The pad thai was only 10B, rather than 20 on Rambuttri or KSR and the spring rolls were 8/20B rather than 4/20B. They were a little better too. The pad thai was pretty much the same, although there did seem to be a few more condiments available to dress it after.

I didn't however see the banana pancakes, I do think those are reserved for the farangs. I have seen the T-shirt, btw. Pretty funny and quite a lot of backhanded truth in it.

Cheers.