Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mrcrow 2006-01-07 5:49

very nice...a perfect portrait landscape...you are a whizz kath...
just a zip of the lhs perhaps..?

Old 01-07-2006, 12:58 PM
TE Expert

Default To mrcrow: lhs?

light/hue/saturation? right? No I didn't touch that, just slight curves mainly for highlights and shadows, and as I explained in the note colour balance to take out the pink. Or do you mean it needs that?
Thanks for your critique
Kath
Old 01-07-2006, 03:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To mrcrow: lhs?

no....left hand side..crop...my bad
but the grasses in the water would suffer..
i dont use curves etc...what programme uses that and do you do RAW or TIFF imaging
your pink one is pink!!
any sun today?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:24 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To mrcrow: lhs?

It was originally landscape format and I already cropped almost half the image to get rid of lens flare from the sun.
Yes I was surprised that using a GREY grad would show up pink!
I only tried RAW once and couldn't get the hang of it and as it takes up so much memory anyway I never got back to experimenting. I just use JPG on the highest quality and size.
Curves is a fantastic tool for adjusting brightness and contrast with more control than the sliders option, as you can also adjust the midtones, and the shadows and highlights independently, but all on one "graph". Some people do the same thing using "levels" which is a histogram of the contrasts and brightness in the image.
Both need a little practice though. Photoshop and Paintshop Pro have both levels and curves; (maybe other programs too) You can find them in the adjustments or layers menu. I always do adjustments on layers so if I mess up I can just delete the layer and not have to start right from the beginning. Until I am sure I have finished working on a shot I save as.. in a paintshop or photoshop format as that keeps the layers separate in case you change your mind about what you did.
Hope some of this helps. If you find you have curves and would like help to use it give me a shout.
Kath
Old 01-07-2006, 08:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Default hi kath

when i get the hang of the sliders i will come back on the curve technique..thanks..i dont have photoshop yet but judging by your shots..a worthwhile expense...i may get a panasonic slr as well..8Meg..we'll see
as for the layer thing that sounds cool.
and your shot being a landscape...must be high quality
i use high...i think
the shots are HQ 2282x1521 gives me 290 on a 256 card but i dont need so much capacity except on holiday or safari
do you think i should go higher to SHQ which are available in 3:2 as well..
above that is TIFF but only gives around 20 shots and takes ages to process on the camera..
cheers...
Old 01-08-2006, 10:53 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: hi kath

I hope I haven't given the impression I'm more knowledgable than I actually am. I've only been using a DSLR for just over a year and still have lots to learn. I am doing a digital imaging course at night school; this is the second year and so I have picked up a bit of knowledge on that but need more practice. I use Paintshop Pro which is cheaper and more user friendly than Photoshop.
I think you could maybe up the size or quality of your shots. I only get 72 JPG on a 256 card. That comes out at 3008 x 2000pixels at 300 dpi resolution. Because of experimenting I easily fill the card on a day out.
bye for now
Kath
Old 01-08-2006, 03:19 PM
TE Senior Member

right i just reset mine...to SHQ and its showing 100 on a 256
good enough for some snaps on a day out..
i have a spare card which now will definately come into use...its a 256 as well
my cam is a 4Meg...sounds like yours could be a 6Meg??
glad you are doing that course and have mentioned the photoshop etc..
i need to get good info before i lay out £££
cheers
geof
Old 01-08-2006, 04:52 PM
TE Expert

Yes the camera is 6meg
Just thought - Photoshop do one called Photoshop Elements, which has all the bits any of us are likely to need and that will be cheaper than the main Photoshop. I think the advantage of using Photoshop over the other programs is that if you get a book to help you they almost all refer to Photoshop.
As I said I use Paintshop Pro but I keep thinking of changing. It's just what you get used to.
Why not do a "Google" and get some info. you should be able to get some comparisons
Kath
Old 01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
TE Senior Member

yes i think i will..i just go PhotoFiltre on a forumite's advice to do frames and it does a creditable job of processing as well...sort of +/- gamma, contrast, saturation and various other things..including sharpening...
all in all i will google around...
i want to get the best out of my jpeg from the word go...so i cant hold back on software etc...especially if i go for a bigger and more versatile body/lens
greatful for your advice
god bless
geof