Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great HD462 2005-06-20 14:08

Nice bright colours, and sharp looking too. You've captured plenty of detail there, I wonder who scratched the Lifeguards' leg.

A question though, I'm pretty new to some of the terminology used on here. I've seen doing things "with curves", mentioned before in the touch up process. What does "with curves" mean?

Probably an obvious answer no doubt...lol :-)

Old 06-20-2005, 11:12 PM
TE Expert

Default To HD462: curves

Nothing to do with Bay Watch Babes charms!
Photoshop and Paintshop Pro (probably others too) have a way of adjusting contrast and brightness by way of a kind of graph; I'm no technologist so can't explain the theory, but have had lots of practice fiddling with it, and it makes a big difference to the output and clarity if your photos. If you have access to either of these programmes just click on "adjustment layer" and then select "curves". You get a grid with a diagonal line across. Just click on different bits of the line, move it about and experiment. Another system called "levels" will be on the same menu and this can achieve similar enhancements, but it is in the form of a histogram.
Hope that helps. If you want more information there will be lots of people out there who know more than I do.
Kath
Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To HD462: curves

Thanks Feather, I get the idea now. I'll have a look in my photo programs for similar features.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:27 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Kath has explained curves quite well. The curve dialouge box show a diagonal graph, this represents ALL the pixel colours in your image, black is represented in the bottom left corner, and white in the top right corner. Most images need a little more contrast so, left click and hold on the black node (bottom left corner) and move along the bottom of the screen slightly towards the right, until you see the black points becoming stronger. Now left click and hold on the white node (top right) and move towards the left, along the top of the window slightly, this controls the highlights or contrast. By clicking anywhere along the diagonal line and moving either towards the bottom right corner (darkens) or the top left corner (lightens) will adjust the middle tones. The closer towards the black node you move and the shadows are adjusted, towards the white node and the highlights are adjusted. As you can 'anchor' a point anywhere along this line you gain infinite control over the exposure of your image. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:43 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks Annie. I use Photosuite mainly (versions 1, III and 7), which does something similar but with sliders for each setting. I guess the way you describe interlinks things more.

The 'bells and whistles' program I have is Ulead PhotoImpact 7, which is a similar sort of thing to Photoshop etc, but don't tend to use it much as I find it overly complicated. I think I need to sit down and have more of a play around with it. I've never given it a lot of time to get to grips with it to be honest.

Thanks,
Mark.