Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jhm 2013-02-22 3:36

Dag Eric,

Uw foto is zeker zijn twee punten waard, en niets aantrekken van de vorige schrijver.
U gebruikt perfect de poort als frame, en bent u mede getuige samen met de andere bezoekers, van een mooi panorama over de wereld stad Parijs.
Mooi foto werk, bedankt.

Prettig weekend,
John

Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
TE Expert

Default To ikeharel: John Paul II

Hi Ike,
indeed I remember the trip of JP2 to Israel. I guess both sides counted so much to catch him saying something stupid but he managed to be acceptable for both sides. This could have been the most challenging of his visits. We believe he was also one of the architects of Soviet Block collapse and definitely he contributed to the PEACEFUL transformation which was not obvious. So no doubts he was a great politician.
And he was loved almost everywhere. Germany was the place where he was really hated though. Not necessarily because he was Polish.
Catholic Church in Germany is very progressive developing hand in hand with Protestant Church and borrowing a lot from it. JP2 was rather conservative in the social aspects. The current Pope is even more conservative and yet he is definitely a poor politician, he managed to offend everyone I think. But he had big shoes to fill. Now Catholics hope to get someone who would be a great politician too but also more progressive. The problem with that is that JP2 over so many years selected cardinals who are all rather conservative. Now the conclave is much more conservative than in the times of John XXIII. The expectations are high... Selecting another conservative Pope may mean the Church will isolate itself and will loose its power and influence in the modern world. Will the electors, 70 years old people, be able to get it?
We will see soon.
M