Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great delpeoples 2011-11-14 22:52

Hi Brian

Wow, what a killer shot. It reminds me of one Brian (timecapturer) posted a few days ago with the posts like that. Yours is just as good. I love the perspective created by the row of posts, the textures in the sand are magnificent and of course that pastel sky is perfectly exposed and so soft and romantic. Congratulations, this should be hanging on a wall in your house somewhere - or a restaurant in Tyrella.

Cheers
Lisa

Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
TE Expert

Default To delpeoples: Sheepish...

Hi Lisa,

I guess, living in Australia, you've never seen sheep before? Well, probably millions of the creatures, but I'm sure the Aussies aren't daft enough to spend their time dyeing them this funny orange colour. But it really is very common in Scotland and (I think) the north of England and it seems to be fairly limited to just the Blackface breed, not others like Leicesters, Texels or Cheviots. Am I right in thinking that yours are mainly Merino sheep or is that N.Z.?

I'm reminded of a joke my Dad used to tell. This Aussie farmer came over to Scotland and met up with a Scottish farmer on his farm. The Scottish farmer was telling him about the size of his farm. "See," he says, pointing, "my farm goes all the way from that stone wall over there to the farmhouse there and all the way from that line of trees down to that little river." "Geez," boasted the Aussie, "I can get in my car at five o'clock in the morning, drive all day and still not reach the other side of my farm." "I know," said the Scotsman, "I had a car like that once."

Cheers,

John.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:52 AM
TE Expert

Smile Scottish Farmers & Sheep

hehehehe, good one. Sorry I can't reciprocate with another joke. The only farmer/sheep jokes I know are not fit for public consumption.

Given that we have about 100 million sheep living here and only 21 million people, yes, I've seen a few Aussie sheep in my time, even sheared a few and shot several! My grandad was a farmer out west in a godforsaken place called Narromine, probably the fella in your Dad's joke See: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Oce...oto1044257.htm

Merino are quite rare and very valuable. Yes there are plenty Merino here, but the more common sheep here and in NZ are called (I think) Australian White, which are used for meat and wool.

Here's a photo I took of one in action some time ago: http://www.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=7&p=1137516

Your old man sounds like a real treasure. Larger than life! Jeez you must miss him terribly.

Have a good day
Lisa
Still sniggering about the national anthem

Last edited by delpeoples; 11-16-2011 at 06:58 AM.