Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-03-15 8:27

Hello Mariusz,
Congratulations with your 100th picture of Germany on this site!
Imagine that the rule is that you have to live in every country as soon as you show 100 photos of it. Then you have to pay attention whether you want to show more pictures of Spain.
I've also used the bookmark format when I wanted to avoid boring side parts.
I suppose you may have written this before but I forgot. Only now it strikes me that both towers are not identical.
Nor are they the same height. Or is that difference just because they were at a slightly different distance from you?
Anyway, a splendid blue hour bookmark!
Best regards, Paul

Old 03-15-2021, 04:35 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: moving around

Hi Paul,
very much depends on the stage of life you are at. Many British people moved to Spain to enjoy their retirement. Of course these days some of them are coming back due to Brexit.
In my case, I found that moving around has advantages and disadvantages.
The clear advantage is that you can visit in the given country places which are known only to locals and you can learn about their life much more than spending there days, weeks or even months as a tourist. There is certainly some sort of excitement in visiting every time new places which gets more difficult if you stay in one town/country too long. From this perspective I miss moving around and if I didn't have any restrictions I would probably move again,
There are some disadvantages which become very important later in life.
For example, if you have a house, moving is not as easy as with few bags only. I lost a lot of money on moving before. There are many hidden costs which are not obvious for many people at first. For example if you move to a new country you don't have any credit history there and if you are too old you may not get a credit for house anymore. School systems are very different between countries or pension schemes. These are factors which become important later in life, and which are making decisions about moving so difficult.
Sometimes recruiters ask the question how much more you want to earn to be ready to move but it is not possible to translate everything into salary rise only.

I will probably think of another challenge for myself on TE next
Kind regards,
M
Old 03-15-2021, 05:48 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz,

I fully realize that when one lives in another country, one learns a lot more about that country and its inhabitants than when one is travelling.

But I must confess that never in my life I've been in a country which had attracted me to live there. The climate is attractive, but that's just one thing.

Even more, even when travelling, I always long to move on after a few days.
I cannot name any place where I would like to stay for a long time...

Best regards,
Paul
Old 03-15-2021, 06:04 PM
TE Expert

Have you been to California?

M
Old 03-15-2021, 06:43 PM
TE Expert

Yes, Mariusz, to Baja California.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:48 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,
I would say Baja is more like another holiday destination while California state is a place where I could imagine living.
I suppose it is hard for people who come from rich countries and are used to benefits they have in their own country to imagine that some other benefits may outweigh the safety and familiarity of what they know.
I will just give you one interesting comparison. I had a very good Swedish friend in California. After a couple of years in California she came back to her own country, her own town, she could live next to family she loved, being offered a dream job (both her and her husband) from which they could afford a great house. Yet for a year she was depressed, missing California living.
For me I suppose it was different because when I returned from California, I moved to cold, rainy, unwelcoming Northern Germany, the job which I got appeared to be way below the promises, and after 2.5 years, I had to move again because there were no jobs, and then again, and again. She missed California for a year...
Well, I suppose everything depends how our lives develop over time,
M