Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2020-10-18 0:32

Hello Paul I wrote quite a long ciritique of this photo but I don't know why it was not saved. It happens to me sometimes. Usually I check it, but this time I have forgotten it. One of many bugs on TE.

I made a virtual walk in Google map and also tried to find out more and I am not sure if this is indeed Wat Thaworn Wararam. Maybe the bigger temple or the whole complex. Not that it would be of any importance.
This temple looks like a copy of the Temple of Heaven in Beijing. Three tiers, the same blue tiles, also the stairs with something in the middle (usually the dragons) are typical for the Chinese temples. Fantastic composition. I saw in my walk that there is an extremely kitschy Buddha staute nearby.

Best regards Malgo

Old 10-18-2020, 05:58 PM
TE Expert

Default To emka: Virtual walk in Google Maps

Thank you Malgo,

When you google 'Wat Thaworn Wararam' you will find lots of pictures of the temple I've shown in my main picture.
Google Maps, however shows the temple near the small lake (my second picture in the WS) as Wat Thaworn Wararam.
On my previous picture (taken from the other side of the river) you can see that the temple of my main photo here is located very close to the river.
However, I cannot find it on Google Maps.

I tried to repeat my sightseeing tour on Google Maps but the riverside looks so different there.
Have I forgotten essential things of my walk from last December? Or can Google Maps make mistakes? The latter I do not really dare to claim.

I also noticed that many temples in this area have Chinese characteristics.

Best regards,
Paul
Old 10-18-2020, 08:00 PM
TE Expert

Talking

Hi,I looked again and I have found the temples on the Google map.Look at the map:https://www.google.pl/maps/@14.02624...ta=!3m1!1e3the first, in the square, on the right is Ban Nuea it was on the right in your picture.หอพระประวัติ สมเด็จพระญาณสังวร สมเด็จพระสังฆราช สกลมหาสังฆปริณายก Further is small Ban Tai - this is "Temple of Heaven in the Tavornwitte Road, we are looking forเจดีย์วัดถาวรIf you copy it and look in the Thai site, you will see the photos and the description.Bingo.Now google translate into English And what we have?Mahayana Buddhists who were forcibly entered when Chao Phraya Bodindecha (Sing Singhaseni) hit the city of Yuan in 1834, helped to build this temple during the reign of King Rama III, named in Vietnamese language. That Wat Khong Tho Tu Later, King Rama V gave the name in Thai that Thaworn Wararam Temple. It is now a Buddhist temple. Anam Sect of Mahayana Sect That still inherits the Mahayana tradition like other Chinese temples in Thailand.So, it is indeed That Thaworn Wararam!Now I travel qwith only the hand luggage, and I do not take ANY guidebooks with me, although I have full shelves of them.I have laptop with me, I can see everything in the map, and have descriptions from Wikipedia saved. I do not need any information about hostels (there are so many pages devoted to them in Lonely Planet) because I have reservations by Booking.com. The paper map usually are available in hostels or Information center.Best regards MAlgo

Last edited by emka; 10-18-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:12 PM
TE Expert

วัดถาวรวราราม - this is Thai site

ชาวญวนที่นับถือพุทธศาสนานิกายมหายานซึ่งถูกกวาดต้อน เข้ามาเมื่อครั้งเจ้าพระยาบดินทรเดชา (สิงห์ สิงหเสนี) ไปตีเมืองญวนเมื่อ พ.ศ. 2377 ได้ช่วยกันสร้างวัดนี้ขึ้นในสมัยรัชกาลที่ 3 โดยตั้งชื่อเป็นภาษาญวนว่าวัดคั้นถ่อตื่อ ต่อมารัชกาลที่ 5 พระราชทานชื่อเป็นภาษาไทยว่าวัดถาวรวราราม ปัจจุบันเป็นวัดในพระพุทธศาสนา ฝ่ายอนัมนิกายลัทธิมหายาน ที่ยังสืบทอดประเพณีแบบมหายานเช่นเดียวกับวัดจีนแห่ง อื่นในไทย description in Thai, to translate.
Malgo

Old 10-18-2020, 09:13 PM
TE Expert

Hi Malgo,

So that one source on the internet that I mentioned in my note was right that it was a Mahayana Buddhist temple considered as the first Vietnamese Buddhist temple in Kachanaburi.

You're a real detective, Malgo.
Thank you very much for al the information.

You're right that you don't need a travel guide for overnight stays. I also look for them online.
But so far I haven’t taken a laptop on a journey. I’m too afraid of damage. Only a smartphone.
I also admit that I find it much more enjoyable to read or search in a book than online. However, I'm gradually becoming a fossil, I fear.

All the best!
And thanks again!
Paul