Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2021-06-04 1:38

Hello Chris,
This is a part of Petra I don't remember at all. Maybe they hadn't yet arranged the columns so nicely by the time I was there in 1995. There's a good juxtaposition of the columns and the brown rocks and a nice strong light under the June sun.
Thanks for your comments. What did you think the Royal Palace was for? The Royals don't actually live there, but I think the King has his office there. Denmark and Norway have Royal families too.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 06-04-2021, 10:15 AM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Monarchies

Hi Gert

I never even saw the Royal Palace and it wasn't mentioned as a highlight of Stockholm in my guidebook or marked on my map. I didn't find Vδsterlεnggatan either! Seems my guide book gave me better things to look at, like Skansen and the must see Vasa Museum. This part looks okay though.

https://www.stockholmfreetour.com/wp...1-1024x682.jpg

And I saw Royal Guards in Copenhagen by chance so put 1 & 1 together and concluded Denmark has a royal family. I didn't bother with Buckingham Palace or changing of the guard in London. Nor did I stop to take photos of the Vatican guards. Not conversant with Norwegian royalty either just saw a statue here and there of King Oscar. Could have been from the 1940's for all I know. In short, I am just not interested in any royal family or their guards. Not that there are that many in Europe according to this map I just browsed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...monarchies.svg

Cheers, and have a great weekend!
Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 AM
TE Expert

Hello Chris,
I also don't care much for royal palaces or gossip about royal families, but it's difficult to avoid the palace, and Vδsterlεnggatan, if you see Gamla stan in Stockholm. You have posted photos of the outskirts of Gamla stan, but didn't you actually go into the area?
Gert
Old 06-04-2021, 10:49 AM
TE Expert

Hi Gert

I tended to skirt around the shoreline of Gamla stan and walk from east to west across the island, the 1 or 2 times I did. I did not walk in a north south direction. So I missed Vδsterlεnggatan if looking straight ahead where I was going. From the advice you gave, I didn't miss much. The Royal Palace doesn't look anything special either. Just googled it and saw it for the first time. Looks similar to architecture I saw in eastern Europe.

https://www.stockholmpass.com/images...lace2019_1.jpg
Old 06-04-2021, 03:00 PM
TE Expert

Hello Chris and Gert,

I must say that I am shocked by what Chris has written. Have you never seen the Nobel Prize celebration on TV or in newspapers? The winners receive the prize from the King of Sweden. Besides, when you travel to the country, are you not interested what is the political situation or a little bit of history? It seems incredible to me. I am not interested in gossips but I know which countries are monarchies. And not only in Europe but in Asia and Africa (Morocco) as well (most, anyway). Royal Palace or guard is not important, we have a Royal Palace in Warsaw but no king.
Gamla stan is very small, 800mx800 m more or less. How is it possible not to notice the big palace, even if it is not especially interesting?
I was near Vδsterlεnggatan (in Storkyrkan) but I do not remember if I went there.
Have a nice weekend

Malgo
Old 06-04-2021, 04:21 PM
TE Expert

Default Travel in Europe.

Hi Malgo

I have never been interested in the Nobel Prize so I have never watched it. Nor am I interested in royal families or gossip about them. I usually just check current news on a country and avoid known trouble spots. Not interested in the nitty gritty on politics either. Just the basics. Laos, Cambodia, China and Vietnam are Communist. Caution and common sense required. Don't start spouting off about Tibet, the Falong Gong, or the inferior Communist system. It is, but it's foolhardy to criticise in situ. Eg, I was in Alba Iulia & Hunedoara in Western Romania and wanted to head to Bucharest for a Ukraine visa & for a flight to Kiev, but they were having massive protests in January 2017 that could have turned nasty, (I remember the December 1989 revolt against Nicolae Ceaușescu), so I stayed put & went to Timisoara instead. Australians cannot just jump on a train in Budapest and head to Lviv. Visa required and entry only through Kiev & Odessa. I am more interested in history, art, culture and nature so Skansen was an oasis of greenery with lots to see. I went past the Abba Museum but did not go inside. And Norway was fantastic scenery wise but the people were a little aloof and self absorbed. That said one Norwegian went out of his way to help me get to the ferry to Alesund in time to connect with my bus which had left without me. My bus had stopped at a fjord, I got out to take some photos, I could see a vehicular ferry coming across so assumed the bus was waiting to drive on. It wasn't, and took off a few minutes after I got off the bus. The guy at the service station knew the bus route would take it to several villages before driving to the ferry terminal to board the vehicular ferry to Alesund and beat him there by 10-15 minutes. No apology from the driver, just a stupid smile. Don't get me wrong, I liked Sweden too. Kiruna was very interesting. And Uppsala. Parts of Stockholm were also photogenic. Sometimes I find tourist sites promoted in guidebooks underwhelming, and often stumble across other attractions that are grossly under rated & far superior. If a site is often crowded I try to go off peak when the crowds are thinner or almost completely absent. No site is nice with thousands of people pushing and shoving and requiring long queues and waiting times just to get in. I abandoned a temple in Hangzhou China with an estimated 3 hour wait. And the Vatican in Rome. 40c standing in the hot sun in a very long queue is not my idea of fun. Another town of concern was Kumunovo in North Macedonia where police had a shootout with separatist Albanians in May 2015. I visited the town in October 2015. The Albanian Quarter was 2km away from the city centre so no problem at all for me. Might load a couple more shots from Gamla stan later. Not sure where half of them are and will have to spend some time on google maps & internet. Hope to see some more photos from you on Trek Earth. You have been missed. A lot!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Kumanovo_clashes

Practical knowledge concerns me more than who the Royal Family are. Eg top sites, best travel routes, current situation, (I was in Crete in August when Italy had its first round of earthquakes in August 2016. I wrongly thought it would all be over by October. It wasn't, and started up again when I was in Padua.)