Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-06-15 3:20

Hello Gert,

My impression was exactly the same as yours, I had hardly ever seen anything as colourful and crowded before. A wonderful photograph of such a busy place!

Your photograph has collected so many details that I have studied the main photograph for quite a long time!
There is so much happening and so many different types of clothing to peruse!
Almost everyone seems to carry things on their heads, except for the lady carrying the baby on her back!

Can you remember what those angled screens were for.
Are they for sale or to protect produce from the sun?

Despite the emphasis on people, without a vehicle in sight, there is a sign for Total petrol. This must be an early example of a pedestrianised area!

Not only have you included the people but, also the habitations which look very basic, maybe even slums!

I love the material that the lady is wearing in the w/s. African dress is often very colourful. Do the people print their own fabrics?

I have really enjoyed perusing your photographs, today. What a record of the area, nearly 40 years ago.

My warm regards,
Bev :-)

Old 06-15-2020, 11:14 AM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: screens & fabrics

Thank you Bev,
I would imagine the screens are supposed to protect the traders and their products from the sun, but looking at the shadows they don't seem to have been of much use during that time of the day.
As for the printed fabrics I am pretty sure they were usually factory made. Especially those dresses showing the President's face on the back (which was fairly common in some countries).
And regarding "grey, dull houses" in Yorkshire I suppose that to a Scandinavian most English houses are very grey, and the long rows sometimes look rather dull. We're just not very used to that style.
Kind regards,
Gert