Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Guntram 2005-08-08 3:13

Hello, this is a beautiful building, very impressive architecture! Thanks for sharing.

Greetings
Guntram

Old 08-08-2005, 12:09 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Guntram: Hello,

I surely did appreciate your correction of my last posting, which I deleted however (it was your kind correction of the word Manikarnika Ghat). The quality of the image was too bad (scanned from a print, brings always a huge loss of quality in my opinion). I should have known the correct spelling, although I have only a very basic knowledge of Sanskrit. I have studied Hindi (and South Asian History, Musicology) and currently I am working on several translations of contemporary short stories from Hindi into German for a small book which will be published this autumn (published by Humboldt University Berlin). Therefore I should have spelled it correctly ... but: noone is perfect!
Thanks for sharing your informative contributions on this site.
greetings
Guntram
Old 08-08-2005, 06:47 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Guntram: Hello,

Dear Guntram!
U may not be satisfied with the quality of your photo of the Manikarnika Ghat,but in my opinion,it's not as bad as u seem to think.And one other thing;I fully concur with your opinion regarding
funerary photographs.My feelings against such photographs r so strong that they sometimes get me into trouble with the people,who r callous about their
own sense of loss and grief,which I've found most of the common - mostly just a little educated,but sometimes highly educated as well - people in my part of the world to be.U see,I've some reputation as an
amateur photographer in my locality,and I snap photogrphs of people on request without any fee. Many
people,therefore,request me to cover the wedding or
birthday celebrations at their places at the cost of only the roll/s of film and D&P.But,the trouble comes when or if someone asks me to snap the photos of the funeral of one of one's demised near and dear ones. I
always refuse such requests point blank,which may appear to the person making the request,rather rude.But what can I do?Isn't it a matter of principle?
Don't I have the right not to act in a manner against my principles?What do u think?
With greetings and due respects,
-Utpal Basu