Some questions - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-17-2004, 11:42 PM
TE Newbie

Default Some questions

First, I would like to express my thanks to the TE for giving me opportunity to learn the great places and people of the world we live in. And plus to learn more on the photography and find some friendly people here. I really admire the great spirit of TE. Being a new member for a few weeks or so, I have some suggestions and questions to the founding members of TE. These may be already addressed before, so please forgive me if it did.

1. The photos in the TE site are easy to find by countries and cities but the members are not that easy to find by the countries and by the cities. The members top page does not include side panel "Continents" just like in the photo gallery. Or you could add clickable item in the "# members" column at "Statistic" view that will bring up the members of that country.
2. I may be overlooking, but I don't find any statement about the criterias for giving TE stamp of approval for favorite. I just want to know the standards of TE.
3. I don't know how to find the photos with the most points. So that I can learn something and improve my skill based upon the critics on these photos.
4. I know there is no category for political. But are there any politically charged photos in TE? If they are here, how do you find??? The issues of a country are also as important as its landscapes and its people. It is an ugly part most people just don't want to know or care unless you are in it. Is this out of the scope of TE???
5. And about the points system. Is the points in "comment" doesn't count??? I could not add up to the points that displayed beside the name with the photo points? Please shed a light on me this.

Thanks.
Way Sai
Old 05-18-2004, 07:08 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Some questions

Thank you for your participation, I learn a lot about Burma from your shots/commentary. Here are my thoughts to your questions. If you have other questions, please let me know.

1. This was done by design. Although the site is based on location, I'd rather not have informal groups form by country which I imagine might happen. In the future this may change however.

2. There are no standards for designating a photo as a favorite.

3. This is not available so as to discourage point-backslapping.

4. I suppose I could add that category. Politically charged photos are fine on TE, however politically charged commentary in notes etc. may be removed.

5. Yes, points are not applied for 'comments'.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:31 AM
TE Newbie

Thank Adam. Not that I want to use TE to put on the issues, in fact I don't have any photos with such category either. I was looking for information people may have learnt while they are visiting any country. I saw a few people's have written their notes on some social/political issues and I would like them to see in easy to find place. Thus a category may help find them easy. So I can learn a country in more deeper meaning thru the photos and commentary, but not political arguments between members.

In the travel section, I like to see Do and Don't for things while you are in particular foreign country. With the members from all over the world, everyone can contribute something and this would benefit to all of us here. Overtime, this will be very useful and hand-on experience than reading thru the travel booklet. This is not just the social/political situation but also the customs, weather, food and lodging, health issues and special holidays and places to visit etc. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:31 PM
TE Senior Member

Check through the themes to see photos grouped according to various member-defined themes. For example, there is a theme for Public Demonstrations which are usually political in nature.