Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great auldal 2011-09-18 10:07

A great mix of colour, movement, light and shade - striking and full of wonder! Also I hadn't known about this before. Is this a performance mainly for tourists?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM
TE Expert

Default To ellelloo: really defying gravity

Hello Lasse,

"I have always wondered how come they dare to build houses so near the edges of this kind of cliffs."

Me too!
And believe me when you are just there, at the base of those buildings and you look down to the sea below I feel dizzy! They have even a balcony, a small one, which protrudes out into the void... I'd been scared to death to be in that balcony. And can you imagine how do they do when they have to paint the faηade in front of the sea! Where do they base the scaffoldings?
A last consideration: not far from here some portions of the cliff which protruded like here have collapsed into the sea, forming small islets... the rock is far from been strong, being limestone full of cracks where water gets in...

We walked along a beautiful foot path on the brim of the cliff (at my back looking at the photo) and all the times I could see the that the rock made a kind of balcony in the cliff (sometime it's only a couple of metres thick) I was afraid that my weight could cause its collapsing!

Thanks a lot for your comment,
Donato