Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 02:51 AM
TE Newbie

Default Photo Upload problem

Every time I try uploading a photo, it keeps telling me that the photo is too big. Now, I'm not very good with computers, and have no idea how to re-size photos. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Photo Upload problem

Hi Juan. Lots to learn. Totally learnable. (1) get some basic software to manage the photos from your digital camera. The camera probably came with some basic software to manage photos, you might start with that. (2) Open the photo you want to post in that software. (3) look for "resize" in one of the menus. (4) Resize to no more than 800 pixels on any side. Sometimes resize offers you several options, including pixels, inches or percents. Choose pixels. (5) Save the picture with a new name. (6) Try uploading it.

If you wish to purchase software, many people use Photoshop, but it might offer more than you need at this point and cost more than you wish to spend. I have also used Paintshop Pro which is cheaper and you will not find it limiting for a while.

Good luck with it! -k
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 AM
TE Expert

Everything is written in the upload link:
Daily Photo Limit: 1 photo
Maximum Size file: 300 kilobytes
Maximum Length: 800 pixels
Minimum Length: 250 pixels
You must respect theese measures to post your pictures by using Photos software like Photoshop or Adobe Photo Elements.
You have some freewares like Photofiltre
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 AM
TE Newbie

just as an add to mikobi's suggestions -

1 - after you reduce your photo to 800pixels, make sure you then use 'save as', and not 'save', to save the photo. otherwise, you may save your wonderful original as a tiny thing. then you also have to save as less than 300kb or it will not upload. on jpeg, my software might jump down from 380kb to 260kb in one grade, so it may not be possible to get it exactly 299kb.

2 - important - after reducing to 800pixels, but BEFORE 'save as', you should find 'sharpen' on your menu, and sharpen the photo once. this will bring back some clarity that you will lose by the pixel reduction, and will be a much better image on te.

i keep a sub-folder just for photos that i reduce for te. so, at 'save as', i save in the te folder, with all the other reduced images. this helps keep them separate from your full size photos, and helps you remember what you have uploaded.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:59 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you very much everyone. I appreciate it greatly. Thank you for the warm welcome as well. This is a great website. I really enjoy its purpose. I figured it out finally after a couple of hours of working on it.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 AM
TE Newbie

no worries, mate.
check out my big cow photo.
(don't worry, big cow photos are a running joke in some very childish corridors of the greater forum thing.)
i expect to see your contributions to global photographic mayhem in the not too distant.
happy posting :)