To MKING: hi - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great maciekda 2004-05-08 9:05

ha, this is a nice image, the swan in the foreground is great, i like the way it is looking at the camera a lot, great look. good to see other birds in the frame too. good composition. good B&W too, very nice image.
and what about people? :)

Old 05-08-2004, 03:24 PM
TE Expert

Default To MKING: hi

hi michael
good to hear from you after a long time
you're one of the only few people here who is around my age
i rerally appreciate what youve written
it seems as if we both think on the same wavelength.
hope top hear from you again
take care
what subject are you studying by the way. im asking this out of curiosity as even im a student
Old 05-08-2004, 03:51 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To MKING: hi

hi sohrab,

Thanks for the warm response. I'm studying Arts; specifically 20th century history and political science. I haven't worked out a scenario where I'm comfortable shooting photographs of the destitute: for me this is both a condescending attitude- they are human beings too- and also out of respect- they aren't items on the street to be leered at. At some stage I may one day finally discover the right mentality and empathetic approach to these subjects.

Good to hear from you.

Cheers

MK
Old 05-08-2004, 04:01 PM
TE Expert

i know what you mean
infact most of the times even i feel really guilty about it and i let some really good moments go bye.
but im learning how to block those feelings now while taking these photographs. you see in my case,im pretty sick of looking at so many people around me who're so apathetic towards all this. so i wanna change that. for that i've to catch good moments. if i get tooo sensitive about all this i'll never be able to catch good moments.
you must have seen sharbat gula's (afghan girl on the national geographic cover) photograph by mccurry. it was taken when she was in a refugee camp in pakistan in 1985. she had just lost both her parents and had escaped with her grandmother. it was her photograph that generated so much response from the public. thats whyits supposed to be the best photograph ever taken.she didnt know about it until recently . if mccurry started feeling guilty about it and had not clicked her, then maybe things would have been different today, im not saying that things look really bright even now, but maybe it would have been worse.
if you wanna do this kind of photography it should be for a cause , not just to get good photographs.
keep in touch
:)
Old 05-08-2004, 04:13 PM
TE Junior Member

"if you wanna do this kind of photography it should be for a cause , not just to get good photographs."

I will take this advice to heart Sohrab-- it's very good, the best form of legitimacy. These photographs stand up so tall because they have this moral imperative backing them.

My university's quarterly magazine offered me the chance to pursue a story related to mental health in the community. I know of a home for the depressed that is round the corner from my old school. There used to be so many of these places like this during the 1980s for the disadvantaged but a change in government policy at the turn of the decade closed most down and subdivided them into apartments for the wealthy. I will try to arrange an interview at this place.

Thanks Sohrab,

Take Care

MK
Old 05-08-2004, 04:32 PM
TE Expert

michael
you know something?
most of us inside feel a lot for all these issues , but only a few do anything about it. i mean even though these feelings exist , we dont even talk about it, coz it's not a very cheerful thing to talk about.
and i know that its very difficult to think ove actually getting involved in it. it's bloody scary. i get scaed so often thinking about getting overinvolved in this. but im still somehow managing to carry on. im not saying that i wont give up, maybe ill give up tomorrow , who knows . but i know that atleast i have made some difference in your thoughts , whether you act upon them or not. so it's not futile.
these small things can really make a lot of difference.
i find mccurry the best photogrpaher coz his photographs make a lot of difference.
he had shot a photograph of an old man wading in neck high water with his sewing machine in porbandar, india.it was during the floods and this man was trying to save his only means of livelihood.this photograph was in his work on "monsoons" and on one of the ng covers. a manager in the company that manufactured the sewing machine actually sent the old man a new machine. whether that was a humane gesture or it was a try for an ad promo, it did help someone. in another ng issue there was a small photograph of a lil girl in a village in europe, i cant recall where. she was crying as she had lost a sheep. she didnt have too many. after about a month or so she received money from the states for another sheep. these are great photographs.
i have a feeling that eric will be reading these postings and hell be pretty tired of them by now
lol.
i must have told him all this thousands of times.
anyway it was good to hear that youre thinking of taking up that assignment
best of luck for it.
regards
sohrab