Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-07-12 7:02

Hello Jorge,

The flowers were a very good addition, brightening the scene and giving it a little less formality!
Your photograph reveals excellent clarity.

How ironic, that they should dedicate a huge statue to someone who was expelled for being rebellious!

Have a good day,
Bev :-)

Old 07-12-2020, 06:09 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: agreed

Hi Bev,
yes, I entirely agree with your words. Life is not black and white. People are never 100% perfect or 100% evil.
I recently re-read an old book for children written by a Polish Nobel Prize winner, Henryk Sienkiewicz.
Titled In desert and in wilderness. Beautiful story about the courage, persistence...
It is actually a story of two children, one Polish boy and English girl, children of engineers working around Suez Channel, who are kidnapped in Egypt at the time of Mahdi Uprising against British Empire. Very inspiring story, but it is indeed written in the same language which does not seem sensitive enough nowadays.
I don't think erasing our history is the best way to go even though we may not like it and with the benefit of hindsight we would have done things differently.
We have to watch the history and learn from it, point out mistakes and think how to make the world a better place.
Kind regards,
Mariusz