Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2015-08-27 1:35

Hello Les,

By Jove, what a fascinating note you've written about the uses and the value of the Rowan. And you've given us two very fine photographs of this particularly wild and weather-beaten example.

Both photographs are perfectly composed and taken so I hope I'm not being asked which I prefer. In each the characterful tree is perfectly portrayed against a lovely sky and its background landscape in lovely soft light and with fine rich colours. Perfect exposure and excellent details and sharpness too.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. I very much liked browsing your "West Devon Part 3" theme - congratulations upon that.

P.P.S. Your photograph also immediately reminded me of a song about the Rowan tree which I remember my mother sometimes singing when I was a kid. It was written in the 19th century by a Scotswoman, Lady Carolina Nairne, from Perthshire so I suppose it was appropriate that my Mum, also from Perthshire, sang it.

You can read the words here and even listen to someone singing it here.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Talking To tyro: Rowan trees.

Hello John,
thanks for your kind words and the interesting additional information, I shall be viewing Rowan trees in a new light from now on,we are lucky enough to have a fully laden tree in the garden which I notice is being raided by a female blackbird so there may be another photo opportunity there.
Warm regards Les.

Tags
rowan, trees.