Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2015-07-04 1:56

Hello Les,

An interesting note about the tin, lead, zinc and silver mining here and a beautiful photograph to accompany it.

The ruined shell of the Wheal Betsy engine house is perfectly placed in the frame, nicely balanced by the crooked tree to its right and with a lovely distant view of the hill beneath a wonderful sky. This is another of your fine black and white renditions, perhaps a little more "high key" than usual but with lovely tones and contrasts, fabulous textures seen in the old stonework, and exquisite details and clarity.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. I've seen quite a few images of the Devonshire and Cornish tin mining engine houses here on TE. As they seem to lack any form of "winding gear", I presume they were not built to carry miners down the mineshafts - were they simply used as pumps to drain water out of the mines?

Old 07-04-2015, 10:31 AM
TE Junior Member

Talking To tyro: Beam pump

Hello John, thanks for your kind and comprehensive critique,there is a plaque attached to the mine which explains that this building was erected to house a Cornish beam pumping engine in 1877 when all pumping,winding and crushing of ore was carried out by steam power having previously relied upon water.
Warm regards Les.

Tags
pump