Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jpinkham 2009-05-09 16:04

A lovely, rugged view of Katahdin, Bruno, and a fine use of the panorama capability. Nicely seen and very good work on the stitching in post-processing the image. This one is sadly underrated. Keep up the good work!

Jim

Old 05-14-2009, 06:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To jpinkham: Panorama

Thanks for the comment ;)
I must say that after spending a few years stitching completely manually I began to use the stitching software coming with my Canon camera, but it was often off & requiresd manual corrections.
Then someone here at TE did point me to this free "evaluation version" that I've been using ever since.
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
I gotta warn you though, it performs superbly on horizontal panoramas, but vertical ones are a bit trickier and are better served with a less sophisticated tool.
The most important thing when capturing a panorama is to remember that the only thing the stitching can't correct easily is the horizon tilt between frames. Try to keep the horizon close to the center, hold your camera and turn on yourself to take the frames. as long as the pictures all have the same tilt you can correct it in the final image.

Have fun!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To jpinkham: Panorama

Thanks, Bruno! I appreciate your helpful suggestions.

Jim