Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-08-2004, 02:57 AM
TE Newbie

Default TrekEarth vs. TrekLens

I'm confused. http://www.trekearth.com looks identical to http://www.treklens.com/. Are they two sites run by the same person? The same server? The same purpose/ general idea?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:33 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: TrekEarth vs. TrekLens

Almost the same... Yes ran by the same person, same server,, but the main difference is that on Treklens we can post pics of family members, friends, pets and we can go with major digital manipulation... a place where we can experience various aspects of photography without being bond to learning about the world.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:37 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks. I mixed the two; I first signed up for TrekEarth and then thought I did it for TrekLens :) It's probably doesn't make sense to post pictures on both, does it? I'm mainly a mountain photographer.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:47 AM
TE Senior Member

Mountain shots might be better on TE. However if you've got nature shots you might want to post them at treknature.com. Post at all three sites if you like (but not the same photo).
Old 12-08-2004, 07:50 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 03:09 AM
TE Expert

You might also consider, Vladimir, how much energy you have for getting involved with an online community. Of course, you are free to simply post photos and leave, but in my experience, the real pleasure of these sites is the opportunity to get to know people who visit. That requires a certain amount of time since you would likely not only post photos, but begin critiquing other's photos and engaging in dialogue with folks you meet. I even have email correspondence with some of the folks I've gotten to know here. I concluded early on that I didn't have enough time and energy to maintain a presence on more than one site, so I post almost exclusively on TrekEarth. There are no rules about any of this, but you should know from someone who has spent many hours on this site, it can become quite addictive, especially if you want to keep track of what everyone is posting.

Welcome to TE and have a wonderful time. I'll say to you what I've observed for many newcomers. Many photos pass through this site, a large number getting no attention whatsoever. If you wish to draw attention to your own work, be generous in commenting on the work of others. It is a courtesy to check the portfolio of folks who critique your photos and see if there is anything that moves you to make comment. It is not an exchange, but simply a commitment to the community should you wish to become involved. There are many very fine folks hanging out here in cyberspace, so you'll no doubt meet some kindred spirits with whom to play.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:42 AM
TE Newbie

"You might also consider, Vladimir, how much energy you have for getting involved with an online community"

You're right. So far I only published my work in one Russian online gallery and I'm heavily involved in discussions there. I don't think I have time to publish my pictures and to participte in discussions on two more sites. I'll probably stick with TrekEarth - it's closer to what I normally do. Thank you again, folks!