Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great gringofil 2005-06-01 4:44

Now, if you didn't tell me that the novice monk was holding a picture of himself taken just moments before, I would conclude that he was possibly reading a letter from his mother. Perhaps he came to the city from a village far away and by being a monk he is making his family happy...a sort of sacrifice (given the sadness of color and mood in the frame). He's stuck here, learning about this religion, but wanting to be back home, doing stuff with his friends, chatting up girls, drinking the first sip of alcohol...doing stuff that kids his age are doing. Anyway, he's looking at his picture and that's the end of the story...nothing romantic about it. ;-) But at the end of the day, you produced a superb image. Well done.

PS: This might be an instance where the note kills the illusion of the photograph.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:35 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To gringofil: re

First, let me thank you for commenting and rating this picture.
You raised a very important, "philosophical" question: is photoghaphy a representation or an interpretation of reality? Better, do its best function consist in stimulating immagination or representing the reality? My answer is: it depends. Depens on photographer's personality, on his mood in that moment, on situation, on the subject. So, perhaps you are right: my note is too much realistic and, giving a clear explanation, I killed poetry in this photo.
But what especially surprised me in that situation was his surprise for that "miracle". This is the reason because I wrote that rude but realistic note. But I'll keep your teaching for the future.

I hope my poor english will be able to explain my thought. Anyway, thanks so much aganin for your interesting criticism.
Regards Paolo
Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To gringofil: re

Don't stop writing notes on my account...write what you feel, write about the facts that may or may not kill the poetry in a given picture. I fully understand where you are coming from and your perfect statement about photography "is photoghaphy a representation or an interpretation of reality" is outstanding. Each person sees a photo for what they want to see in it...and this is the beauty of photography, I think.

Cheers.