Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2022-01-24 7:50

Hi Paul,
Fantastic view, very elegant square with the impressive monument and two mosques.
Polish people always refer to 100 years under Russian/Prussian and Austrian rule but I suppose after 500 years occupation it is not surprised that some nations decided to switch to Islam. This region's history is so complicated indeed. Clouds add a further dynamic touch here. The processing was great however I think stronger contrasts would make it more eye catching.
Excellent work,
M

Old 01-24-2022, 03:44 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: Change of religion

Thank you Mariusz,

The switch to Islam often happened for economic reasons, but also because young boys were conscripted into the Ottoman army.
In the first centuries of Ottoman rule, a so-called blood tax was levied.
Many families had to give up a son to the Ottoman state. This certainly contributed to conversion to Islam.

There are also other parts of the world where a change of religion has happened for economic reasons.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 01-24-2022, 07:33 PM
TE Expert

Ha ha
The other example which comes to my mind is when Meghan Markle was baptised in the Church of England to get married to Prince Harry. Nobody doubts it was a career move, although economically she would be better off staying in England. They don't have to overwork themselves and everybody in the country is excited about any stupid detail of their lives.
M