Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-16-2005, 08:24 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Turning down my first assignment - Your Opinion Please

I think you should turn down this offer. If this magazine is commercial it ought to have a budget for photos. They know we amateur photographs would be happy just to be published, at no cost, but this is big fat capitalism, wanting to make more money by having some fee stuff from others.

Would you be known by giving these photos ? Yes, you will be known in the market for the one who gives away his stuff to this magazine. I am sure competitors know who pays and who don't.

Maybe when we start we might not ask prices as high as the ones charged by established professionals but at least we should ask for some kind of retribution.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for your reactions, i see most of you think the same way i do regarding this issue.

I will in fact turn down this assigment, or for other words, i will establish what i think it's the fair price for it ;)

Thanks for your imput.

Mαrio
Old 11-16-2005, 08:39 PM
TE Expert

No relation between the 2,as i think you imply, indeed. I think one becomes a pro by actively searching outfits hiring photographers (even freelance assignment) and being "aggressive at being discovered" (so to speak), rather than having 300 pix on Pbase. the difference is 180 degrees, IMO. people wishing to have a carreer of any sorts in photography will have to do a lot more walking than posting pix on Pbase after a trip. This is one of the most competitive fields, that asks for single-minded commitment. Way beyond the question of having a cheapo magazine scouting for free Pbasers or not. IMO.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:44 PM
TE Expert

er, sorry, maybe not clear, my answer was about giving free pix hurting the profession. Otherwise, I agree that work should be remunerated, unless one is trying to establish a RS with a serious editor. But these guys will not just pop up in your mailbox, asking free stuff off Pbase, for them.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:45 PM
TE Senior Member

Sure Hervι, to actively search for assignments is the way to do it, but do not undermind the fact that posting photos on websites might help. I myself was contacted last year by a journalist from Taiwan who purchased 19 of my pics for a magazine after seeing my work on TE. And now she recently came back to Montreal to work on a book and again she asked me to make the pics for this book. And not free, even if I feel that it might not be the price paid usually to professionals.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: same situation

Mario, i'm almost in your same situation, so I will explain my actual 'strategy':
- for friends, even for books and so (p.example running calendar etc.), nothing (only my name under the foto !)
- for a German University, the same but with the written permission of a non-exclusive copyright, strictly restricted to the specific n° of the publication and asking for a copy of it. It to say, they was from first moment extremely serius and absolutely correct.
For a medical newspaper, a 'symbolic' fee (100€ x photo) and the same rules for restricted copyright and so on.
The point is, I'M NOT A PRO and in any case for the moment I don't intend to transform my passion in a real work, so I ask a little fee but with clear rules for the use.
If all go OK, i will only buy new photo material with this money...! ;D)
Old 11-16-2005, 08:50 PM
TE Expert

As i said before, my aim is not to go pro, i don't use pbase for it, but if someone offer you a project why not think about it?

There are TE members that were contacted because someone saw their photos is TE, and i think nobody use TE to market itself in the world of Pro-photography.

But as i said, if someone know on my door, i'm free to study the offer, one thing i'm sure: I'm willing to help organizations that work with people... not with travel magazines aimed executive tourism...

I agree with Nina, at least i will not be know by the guy who works for free... i rather not be known at all :)
Old 11-16-2005, 08:51 PM
TE Expert

Oh, I don't, just saying, and yopur case is perfect, it should be the basis of a working RS, not just a skim off to be never heard of again. I gave a few authorizations to print or net-reproduce, supposedly I'd get a copy or something, never did. Even a follow up on how these guys were doing, would have been swell.

So, in a way, I am making progress towards being a pro, I am passed giving away a pix for free :-)))).
Old 11-16-2005, 08:55 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: same situation

Exactly Giorgio,
Why not do it that way? not turning pro, but at least you keep your equipment actual with the money you make...

I think it's the right thing to do.

Mαrio
Old 11-16-2005, 09:58 PM
TE Junior Member

I have been contacted once by a magazine who noticed some of my images here on TE.

It was a travel magazine and they wanted to do a feature on Copenhagen, they felt some of my photos fitted in their story.

My initial price claim was 50 euro for each photo. They offered 40 euro each for two photos published in small format and 60 euro for one photo published in half page, I accepted that offer. They were nice and professional to do business with.

If a commercial magazine actually expects to get photos for free, I would have nothing to do with them, they just try to rip you off, using the vanity, that everybody has, as a weapon against you. But don't worry about that, we'll rub your vanity the right way here on TE ;-)