Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great everlasting 2021-02-27 7:20

I remember walking up those stairs but do not remember the name of the temple. the light picks out the gold stupa very nicely.
I also hope that "normality" returns soon fo 4th eBurmese people. I have many friends there. I am just a little sad to see so many on the street protesting, when a few years ago whilst the Rohingya's were getting chased from their villages, pillaged, and worse, it was very quiet. Where were the protestors then?

Old 02-27-2021, 05:27 PM
TE Newbie

Default To everlasting: Rohingya

Hello Elaine!
I am trying to understand Buddhism. A religion, or rather a worldview, which is based very much on respect and tolerance.
But I don't understand the Rohingya problem. I think this has been done by politics for the past 60 years.
In sittwe, not far from bangladesh, i saw many friendly people from this ethnic group and I was allowed to take some photos. Burmese who saw my photos on my i pad dismissed them contemptuously and said: Boo! Muslims, dirty and other not nice words. When I asked them why,I had no answer.
In Sittwe, I asked myself what motivates people to flee to an even poorer country, bangladesh, where they are now being deported to islands that have constant storms and floods.
Ronny