Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2022-09-29 12:45

Hello Gyφrgy,
Yes, I like the photos and the atmosphere created by these white "boxes" placed along the path in the forest. But I still don't know what they are and I can't find a translation of 'stacio'. A close view of one of them might have explained something. Do they show pictures like a comic strip? I'm happy enough with the WS, where the deliberately overdone processing worked well, but...
Best regards,
Gert

Old 09-30-2022, 07:44 AM
TE Expert

Talking To holmertz: Calvary

Hello Gert (and Gyorgy),

The white "boxes" are the small chapels representing the stations (not stacio) of the Cross.
A calvary, also called calvary hill, Sacred Mount, or Sacred Mountain, is a type of Christian sacred place, built on the slopes of a hill, composed by a set of chapels, usually laid out in the form of a pilgrims' way. It is intended to represent the passion of Jesus Christ and takes its name after Calvary, the hill in Jerusalem where, according to tradition, Jesus was crucified.

These function as greatly expanded versions of the Stations of the Cross that are usual in Catholic churches, allowing the devout to follow the progress of the stages of the Passion of Christ along the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem. Each chapel contains a large image of the scene from the Passion it commemorates, sometimes in sculpture, that may be up to life-size. This kind of shrine was especially popular in the Baroque period when the Holy Land was under Turkish rule and it was difficult to make a pilgrimage to the Mount Calvary in Jerusalem.

Calvaries were especially popular with the Franciscan and Jesuit orders, and are most common in Italy and Habsburg Central Europe. They were usually placed in parks near a church or a monastery, typically on a hill which the visitor gradually ascends. Italian ones are usually called a sacro monte ("holy mountain" or "hill").

The most famous calvaries are Kalwaria Zebrzydowska in Poland (Unesco site), The Calvary in Montserrate near Barcelona and Montserrate in Bogota.

Have a nice weekend

MAlgo
Old 09-30-2022, 09:13 AM
TE Expert

Default re

Dear Malgo,

Thank you for doing the job! I think its not a coincidence that a Polish explained it for us, since its the most Catholic country.

Have a nice Weekend!
Best Wishes,
Gy.